• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s a decent press for magnum loads?

I’ve loaded well over 10k rounds on my rockchucker. That means 30k pulls of the handle and I’m sure she’s got lots of life left in her. If you’re just starting out, I can see a good argument for single stage. Even if you plan to go progressive for high volume eventually, you learn more about each step on a single stage IMO. If your magnum loads will use powders that don’t meter well like 800x a single stage makes a lot of sense too. Hard to beat a rockchucker.

Rockchucker SUPREME. The regular old Rockchucker doesn't have enough throw for the big cartridges. You have to put the bullet up into the die, then slide in the case under it, and lower the bullet into the case. Much time wasted, on magnum length cartridges.

I assume this is what you are asking-- any press at all will load a "magnum" cartridge. Some just do it more quickly. I've loaded thousands of 'em on a standard Rockchucker-- the Supreme didn't exist when I bought mine. Now I'd get a Supreme, but it's not worth the money to swap. Just not that big of a deal.

I’ve loaded well over 10k rounds on my rockchucker. That means 30k pulls of the handle and I’m sure she’s got lots of life left in her. If you’re just starting out, I can see a good argument for single stage. Even if you plan to go progressive for high volume eventually, you learn more about each step on a single stage IMO. If your magnum loads will use powders that don’t meter well like 800x a single stage makes a lot of sense too. Hard to beat a rockchucker.

800X meters like crap, but is a great powder! The faster 700X is good too.

I bought a Lee Classic Cast years ago and have only found one problem with it. The Classic Cast is the biggest single stage that Lee sells. The press lacks the the leverage and handle strength needed for large, hard to resize cases. The 30.06 is the largest size that I load. It works well for my purposes.

I would go with any of the other big names (preference given to the green ones) for hard to resize cases: Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Hornady.

Back
Top Bottom