What am I doing wrong Sizing .223 Remington

When I reload any caliber it's a 1000 or so. Hand lubing is a PITA for me. I found that cheap Frankford's spray case lube, lightly sprayed in three planes (angles) 60 degrees x3 at 1/2-2/3 of the first part of the cases, set in loading blocks, 50 cases work great.

If you're cases are getting stuck as stated "not enough lube" if they are getting dents after sizing too much lube. Find the middle ground and stay in that arena and you will be Gucci.

This or my favorite is RCBS case slick. As others have stated One Shot is crap.

I recently bought a Lee die kit for .223 and had the same problem, after playing around I realized the shell holder was so loose I could wiggle the shell left to right and remove it. I emailed Lee and they sent me a new shell holder and it works great.

Also, I googled this problem and it seems to happen a good bit. When I emailed Lee, I somewhat expected them to question my lube practice, but just they way they responded and sent me a new one was like they hear about it a good bit.

The lanolin / alcohol mixture has been one of my favorites ... also heard that cable pull gel (think of Industrial Strength KY) diluted with 99% alcohol does a great job as well ... and cheaper / easier to get. Just don't over-do lubrication; you'll end up with a bunch of deformed brass if you do! ..And, yes, a little inside the case mouth isn't a bad idea ... I wash my brass after resizing anyhow.

BTW: I've found that carbide dies are great for straight walled cases and still need lube on bottle-necked ones ...

OK??
I was NOT aware that Lee made a carbide resizing die for the 223/556 cartridge??
is it new? got a item number??
If the Op has a set of steel rifle dies (as to my knowledge lee dies are) then that's the stuck case problem, and as most have mentioned improper lubing of the case and using steel dies.
Lee makes carbide Pistol dies for straight walled cases but again not a bottlenecked carbide die ?
again correct me here if I am wrong, cause I would love to have a Lee carbide resizing die for the 223/556.

OK??
I was NOT aware that Lee made a carbide resizing die for the 223/556 cartridge??
is it new? got a item number??
If the Op has a set of steel rifle dies (as to my knowledge lee dies are) then that's the stuck case problem, and as most have mentioned improper lubing of the case and using steel dies.
Lee makes carbide Pistol dies for straight walled cases but again not a bottlenecked carbide die ?
again correct me here if I am wrong, cause I would love to have a Lee carbide resizing die for the 223/556.

Id also be very interested in this carbide 223 sizing die.

I'm late to the party but this is how I use Lee resizing lube.

I take a 5" plastic lid off a can of peanuts and turn it upside down.
Then insert a piece of craft felt that is cut to fit inside the rim.
Pour a little water on the felt and put one squirt of lube on the wet felt. (just a little more than what you put on a tooth brush)
Take your finger and work some of the lube into the felt. It will become more water than lube.
Grab a case, lay it on it's side and roll it across the pad. Now it's damp, but you don't have any globs.
Put the case in the shell holder, touch your finger to the pad, then wipe it across the neck opening. A drop will be left in the case neck. Only need some in the case every few times.
Pull the lever and make sure you hit the bottom of the die with the shell holder.

You can add a little more water/lube to the felt as needed.
When finished, I wring the water out of the felt and lay it where it can dry out.

Carbide bottle neck dies have a ring at the base that is carbide, the rest is tool steel in most. The expander ball is often carbide too (RCBS). Dillon has "carbide dies" too that appear to be all inner carbide and they cost around $160 a set.

I use them all with good results. The Lee dies offer a lot of performance for the coin......

http://www.dillonprecision.com/cont...rbide_Rifle_Dies__Individual___Three_Die_Sets_

Last edited:
Carbide bottle neck dies have a ring at the base that is carbide, the rest is tool steel in most. The expander ball is often carbide too (RCBS). Dillon has "carbide dies" too that appear to be all inner carbide and they cost around $160 a set.

I use them all with good results. The Lee dies offer a lot of performance for the coin......

http://www.dillonprecision.com/cont...bide_Rifle_Dies__Individual___Three_Die_Sets_

Yes I am aware of the Dillon carbide dies, but the Op stated a Lee carbide 223 die!
and thats why I asked if he was sure about this?
IF he actually has a steel resizer die and is only lubing the inside neck then there is no wonder he has stuck cases, surprised he doesn't have a lot more than a few.
and again I would still be interested in a more economy priced Lee carbide resizer in 223/556 if one actually exist.

I had the same issues with my Lee set up using any kind of lube. Stick the cases upside down in the block and spray just what is left showing, haven't had one stick yet on over 3000 rounds doing it this way. Re-sizing 7.62X39 down to 6.5 Grendel is just the opposite lol, I have to lube the inside of the case neck to keep it from running down the shoulders about every 10-12.

Back
Top Bottom