• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are push notifications and why would I want it?

To be fair, it is marketing in that it's a click generator to remind/induce you to engage with the site.

In theory you can configure it by checking boxes, but in my experience disabling push notifications only means that the site constantly pesters me to enable them. I constantly see this message, and not surprisingly, choosing "never ask again" always results in being asked again in a few days.

View attachment 6726564

View attachment 6726569

I've not seen that happening on any of the devices/browsers I use (I use several and it's only enabled one of them). It could be a setting in your browser preferences clearing it out.

Dang, ODT be slackin'...

3 day old thread with a subject of "push" and no Salt n Peppa fans in da house?

3f77d4c4-d7dc-4a4d-b56d-86751ab3ccee_text.gif

I've told it "no" many times but continue to get the question. Quite annoying......

If get a PM then I get an email alert which seems to work fine.

I've not seen that happening on any of the devices/browsers I use (I use several and it's only enabled one of them). It could be a setting in your browser preferences clearing it out.

Are we browsing anonymously? That doesn’t keep browser cookies and such that keeps track of such things.

I'm using Brave - might be a factor.

I'm using Brave - might be a factor.

In my testing, the Brave browser can be a bit overzealous. Many sites do not display correctly without a bunch of tuning. I've also seen sites block it as malicious due to the way it tries to anonymize access with some of the settings enabled.

To be fair, it is marketing in that it's a click generator to remind/induce you to engage with the site.

In theory you can configure it by checking boxes, but in my experience disabling push notifications only means that the site constantly pesters me to enable them. I constantly see this message, and not surprisingly, choosing "never ask again" always results in being asked again in a few days.

View attachment 6726564

View attachment 6726569
THIS /\ ! I constantly see this message, and not surprisingly, choosing "never ask again" always results in being asked again THE NEXT TIME I LOG IN on my laptop

Back
Top Bottom