• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What brand bullets do you guys use?

Al Capone

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
376   0
Reaction score
Just wondering if there was a preferred brand of bullets for reloading. I'm planning on reloading 9mm, 38sp and 45acp to begin and advice on bullets? Also what is the powder preference? Thanks.

I use alot of Winchester 231 because there is often a large difference in start and max grains which gives me room to work with without having to be so paranoid of an overcharge. I prefer to use Berrys Plated bullets. They are usually pretty inexpensize (250 for around $18-$20) and seem to come in a wide variety of different weights and points.

I'd like to use more lead bullets but just havent found a good place to purchase them yet.

I have been using a mild load of Alliant Bullseye behind a Berry's 185gr HBRN in my .45 and love it. About to work up the 9mm as well in the 115gr variant. I have found them to be very accurate and pleasing to shoot with the lightened charge. I have stuck with the plated bullets since I worry about runnin straight Pb in a Glock.

I like the Bullseye powder. Been getting consistent charges, loads alot of rounds per lb, decently clean burn, but I have wanted to try out the Power Pistol or Unique. The Berry's HBRN are pretty cool but I have also been looking into the Xtreme HP's and waiting on the Berry's HP that are supposedly coming outt this summer.

Edit: Oh, and check TJ Coneveras for good prices on Berry's as long as you are ordering 1k+ http://www.tjconevera.com/

Last edited:
My current choices:

9mm:
125grn LRN 9mm GA Arms for my plinking (hipoint) with unique
Defense loads are factory loads, typical hornady critical defense

45 acp:
240 grn Rocky Mountain Reloading Plated RN with titegroup or red dot
Defense loads are factory loads, typical hornady critical defense

44 Magnum:
270 grn speer JSP with 2400 for my hunting loads
200 grn speer JHP with 2400 for my plinking loads

308:
Sierra 168 grn Match BTHP with Varget for my precision loads
Sierra 180 grn Spire Point with varget for my hunting loads

I have been using 115 jacketed round nose to shoot target with, along with tightgroup powder. For defence rounds I like 124 gr Hornady Xtp or Speer Gold dot, along with blue dot powder.

Back
Top Bottom