What brand die sets?

Living Proof

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
What brand dies do you use or prefer? I have 3 sets of Lee and 1 RCBS. They both seem ok. Also, loading .223 for an AR I guess I should get the AR specific dies right? Thanks

I like different one's. Lee dies work great and they're what I use most. Lee's powder through expander hooked me on their handgun dies.

Their Collet sizing dies and dead length seater did the same for bottleneck rounds.

I like Hornady's bullet guide seating dies, but otherwise they're no better or worse than the others.

I buy RCBS and Redding when I find a specific caliber I'm looking for in stock. They work fine, but I can't say they're any better or worse than any other brand.

Last edited:
Regular 223 dies if used properly is all you need. I am not aware of any AR specific dies. It is recommended that you full length size every time. also crimp. Any brand should do the job if used properly. dos s

Lee FL .223 dies size on the tight side of spec and do great for every AR app I've had.

The small base dies offered by RCBS aren't a necessary expense. I have them, .223 and .308, but I use standard FL Lee for the AR's.

I like Lee Carbide Dies for pistol but for rifle, I like Redding for competition rifles and RCBS for all the others. However I own Lyman and Hornady dies as well.

I have some small base dies for ARs but I find that I don't use them much.

I have loaded for multiple .223s and never used the small base dies. Never had a problem with any of the ammo chambering or firing either. Some of the brass was machinegun fired as well. No sweat for the RCBS regular .223 dies.

Forster for me. The expander is right as the neck is coming out of the top of the die and the rubber washer allows the spindle to shift and not slightly bend the neck making for less run out. I use them more for bolt rifles where run out makes a more noticeable difference. I like lee dies for pistol calibers hands down, I just dont like the lock rings.

Back
Top Bottom