What brand die sets?

I like hornady dies, they are good quality, nice locking rings, about the same price as other dies and you get free bullets with them. However I had to buy the RCBS AR series dies because the hornady dies worked fine for .223 in my mini 14 but the same rounds jammed when attempted to be cleared out of my AR. I switched to the AR series and all is well. If you pick up range brass then you will most likely need the AR dies if you buy brass new and are able to re capture it after firing then standard dies should work.

My Dillon 1050 is set up with a Lee U-die for sizing, a Redding micrometer die for seating, and a Dillon taper crimp die. For Quality I would actually rate Redding at the top and Lee at the bottom. Except for the U-dies I wouldn't use Lee products.

My 45 acp Hornaday taper crimp/ bullet seating die is the only die I ever had problems with. Cases would stick to die sleave after being taper crimped. Hornaday told me to polish inside of die. WTF?

The best solid (NO FLOATING THIN SLEAVE) taper crimp dies are Lyman, Lee, Redding, RCBS,

Last edited:
I've yet to determine where one brand is measurably better than another. It's features and ease of use that make my decisions.

I'm seeing a lot of gimmicks being added to different brands and types now. Basically "Hey Look At Me" marketing.

I measure performance in the field, but my concentricity gauge doesn't detect any one brand being better than another either.

Due to familiarity many continue to use whatever they start with or whatever their buddy says is better, but I'll give other brands a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom