• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do I do?

You could always build a huge bonfire! I've told this story before:
My FIL (deceased) was in his backyard one afternoon tending a huge bonfire. I asked him what he was burning (it was hot, August I think, 1994) and he said, "Gun boxes." I was horrified.

He'd just taken a large collection of pre-'89 ban guns on consignment from a widow in Cola, SC and he didn't "have the room in the house to store the boxes."

Polytech Legends, HK91's, 94's, Colt Green Labels, Valmets, Maadis, Galils, Fabrique Nationale FN/FALs, FNCs, etc. You name it. He had it. He burned them all. A tragedy. Huge financial loss in my opinion.

Put them in plastic bags and store them in your attic. One day you will be glad you saved them.
if you want to get rid of them that bad, sell them. Or give them to someone to sell.
Just suggestions. :)

Keep them if you still have the gun. A gun with box and docs will ALWAYS sell for more, sell more quickly, or both, than one that's missing them.

I use those big bags used for storing fake Christmas trees to hold mine. I have one for handgun boxes and another for rifle boxes, although 'hard' rifle cases just get stacked up.

They they all stay up in the attic, and are completely out of the way. I never even think about them unless I buy or sell a gun and have to climb up there to add/remove a case.

My attic isn't insulated, so it get's pretty hot and cold, but I've never had an issue, even with the older cardboard boxes. And when I had squirrels up there a few years back they completely ignored them since they were in the Christmas tree bags and probably didn't seem like good nesting material.

Plus those bags have pretty sturdy handles. I was able to hang my rifle-case one from a couple of hooks I put in the trusses. That put it about waist high, and a lot easier to sort through. That doesn't work for one with pistol boxes in it though.

Man I chunked the box for my Smith 39-2 when I was younger and didn’t understand. It’s a vintage pistol my grandfather gave me. Wish I hadn’t done that. I get it though. Some of the larger plastic ones I have take up a lot of shelf space.

Your Guns are worth more in a labeled box. Everything it came with.
In some cases the box is worth more than the gun, older models of Colt and S&W Especially.

Back
Top Bottom