• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What do you practice most often with your weapons?

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Be specific.

I do a lot of non live fire practice like drawing from an ITW on my right hip and doing reloads. For live fire I work on drawing and putting one round on target as fast as possible at close range via point shooting A LOT. I also practice this with a double tap, but that first smooth round on target is the key for me.

I do a lot of practical multiply target at varying ranges and a considerable amount of time doing full mag dumps (9 rounds) while retreating. First round at point blank as soon as my weapon clears the holster and, as I retreat and fire, bringing the weapon up into a two hand grip. Typically only my last round or two use the sights.

Another thing I will practice is slow fire with very precise aiming at distance or on small targets.

Of course I do a ton of other things during practice and work a carbine and shotgun hard, but for me the things above are fundamental skills that I keep sharpest.

What do you focus on?

I focus on drawing from the holster and firing. One handed, both hands, in low light , etc. I also let someone else load a snap cap in a random spot in my mag. That way I can practice a dud/jam. It helps.

Most of what I have done lately is drawing from the holster, firing on multiple metal targets that require me to move. I have a few "stations" set on my range with barricades to move to and fire from. I enjoy the movement and helps me practice acquiring the sight picture.

A few drills I do and recommend to my students are these (all dry fire)

1. Drawing from my daily carry position
2. Working on my Natural Point of Aim (in front of a mirror, to see where I aim at under simulated stress)
3. Moving off the "X" (Moving rearward and to the side to disrupt my opponents OODA loop) to cover/concealment or out of their direct line of fire

these are the basics of defensive shooting. Working on reloading and clearing malfunctions are good, but in a 3sec firefight, upclose, the majority do not get a chance to reload.

Being able to quickly, but smoothly draw and accurately firing into your opponent before he can respond to you is in your favor.

1. Drawing my weapon
2. Combat Reloads (empty Mags) and tactical reloads (empty mags)
3. Transition from primary to secondary
4. imagine failures then work through them in the comfort of your own home (Can you change the firing pin on your AR while standing or moving?) not that you will have too but you never know
5. I pick a spot in the distance (usually out the window) I turn around and close my eyes then I have to turn around, require the sight picture quickly, while manipulating the safety.

All these drills can be done in the comfort of your home (dont do it when the wife is there though....she gives funny faces).

NO LIVE ROUNDS....SNAP CAPS OR LASER ROUNDS AT MOST. (thanks inkdaddy for the reminder)

Last edited:
Just want to throw this out there......remember, there are probably more AD's from shooters either drawing from the holster, or re-holstering than anything else. There are things you can read, many good video's on youtube to watch..........It is a great skill set to develop, but again, it is a skill set that needs to be learned correctly. I only posted this because if you do this at home, I just want everyone to be safe and to be careful. We have both read and seen pictures on here of Accidental Discharges........it only takes a second, and it is 1 second you can never get back!!. Work your skills, just always be safe and be careful.

Drawing and just firing one or two rounds is a waste of time for me. I can practice the basic draw and shoot one with dry-fire. I try to setup more complex shooting problems with multiple targets/varied strings of fire/use of objects/etc and incorporate a draw, reloads and other basic skills that I practice with dry-fire into the shooting problem.

Back
Top Bottom