• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What if the SHTF and I'm 12 hours from home????

How many of you are confident you could "save your own life"? I think physical fitness Is overlooked by many people In shtf situations. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/08/15/are-you-strong-enough-to-save-your-own-life-video/

Whatever do you mean?

weknowmemes.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_10_doomsday_preppers_meme.jpg

I consider myself to be a fairly prepared person, due to constant travel for the past 17+ years, I stay in a constant state of situational awareness - I am always identifying a potential way out when I enter a new environment. That being said, over the past few days I have been contemplating a situation that I would appreciate some input on. My job requires that I drive all over the country (to the tune of around 4,500 to 5,500 miles a month), although I feel that I have my truck pretty well equipped as a BOV, I have been contemplating what I should carry in my BOB in the event that I may have to go by foot. I am not always traveling on main highways, sometimes I may drive for hours on rural roads depending on where my project is located (I'm driving to Wichita, KS tomorrow - with a quick stop in Oklahoma) so there is no telling what I would be encountering - I am also trying to keep in mind that I may be in Chicago in December and Florida in August so preparedness for different climates would need to be taken into account. I have an idea of what I should take (dry rations, water, ammo, firearm, etc, etc, but I am hopeful that those of you who already prepare like this would be able to shed some light on itmes that I may not have taken into consideration! Thanks for your input...

Not even going to read all the posts on this...

What kind of shape are you in? Not to get personal or anything. Have you have humped 20 miles with a full pack? If so can you currently do it and still fight while enroute? Do you know what a full pack consists of or how much it weighs?

Not knowing those factors but just taking a guess you might wanna stick close to the truck brother..

Now reading over the comments someone hit the physical fitness before me... I would say suit up and do a 10 miler to try it out. If not then might wanna plan staying close to the truck

One thing I noticed is you said water. Not so much water as a Lifestraw type water purification tool. You can not carry enough water to last more than a day. You MUST be able to purify it on the fly.

My choice of SHTF gun is a marlin/Winchester 30/30 with a sidecar ammo sleeve on the stock(total of 16 rounds in/on the gun and another 20-40 in my GHB). The 7 round magazine capacity and lever action are legal in just about every state so if you have it in your truck in Illinois you are still legal. And a 30/30 hit's like a sledge hammer.

Lifestraw is NOT a purifier it is for water FILTRATION. These are two things that are so commonly mistaken it is ridiculous considering it could cost you your life. I have NOTHING against Lifestraw or Patronus I just want to make sure that you understand the difference between filtration and purification. In a SHTF scenario purification is the route I am taking regardless of the additional weight or inconvenience as my life may truly depend on it.

Back
Top Bottom