• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if the SHTF and I'm 12 hours from home????

Lifestraw is NOT a purifier it is for water FILTRATION. These are two things that are so commonly mistaken it is ridiculous considering it could cost you your life. I have NOTHING against Lifestraw or Patronus I just want to make sure that you understand the difference between filtration and purification. In a SHTF scenario purification is the route I am taking regardless of the additional weight or inconvenience as my life may truly depend on it.

yeah BUT.

the sawyer mini has 0.1 micron absolute filtration. it removes bacteria, viruses, and almost all the other bad stuff. the average virus size is 0.4 microns (400 nanometers) and this filter has openings of 0.1 micron (100 nanometers)

so tell me why putting bleach/iodine in there is so important? I have used my mini extensively in streams, lakes, etc. and its been just fine.

here is a quote from their site

"
Features:
  • Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness
  • The MINI removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium
  • High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters)
  • Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable bottles (28 mm thread), hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source"
seems like its perfect for a get home bag.

they have a filter for buckets when you get home that filter to 0.02 microns!
https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit/

yeah BUT.

the sawyer mini has 0.1 micron absolute filtration. it removes bacteria, viruses, and almost all the other bad stuff. the average virus size is 0.4 microns (400 nanometers) and this filter has openings of 0.1 micron (100 nanometers)

so tell me why putting bleach/iodine in there is so important? I have used my mini extensively in streams, lakes, etc. and its been just fine.

here is a quote from their site

"
Features:
  • Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness
  • The MINI removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium
  • High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters)
  • Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable bottles (28 mm thread), hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source"
seems like its perfect for a get home bag.

they have a filter for buckets when you get home that filter to 0.02 microns!
https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit/

I am glad your anecdotal evidence is just that...anecdotal. It is NOT scripture and all I was saying that in a SHTF scenario you would be better prepared to actually purify your water...that is unless you think those sources you have been drinking from will remain unchanged....hint they wont.

Well when you see some folks drinking from sewer waste with a life straw it says something. I don't know how well your iodine or bleach or whatever will purify my ****. It filters out the stuff that will kill you for sure. E. coli cholera salmonella are top of that list. I bet if the south had life straws in the war between the states there might be a few more confederate flags flying... You know, with the dysentery and all...

Back
Top Bottom