What is the best way to fix this? Motor mounts pulling through fiberglass boat hull

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
I had my boat stored at a marina for several years and I'm not at all impressed with the way that they took care of it. I have no idea how this happened but this is how it was when I picked it up. Someone has obviously tightened the bolts back down after the fiberglass cracked. In any event, what is the best way to repair this? I'm thinking a piece of flat aluminum to go over the part where it is cracked as a reinforcement. It's obviously severely damaged but surprisingly enough it is still rock solid and the motor doesn't move or shift at all under power. The back of the hull looks solid.

20200721_112521.jpg

20200721_112531.jpg

20200721_112608.jpg

Grind back the geo coat, lay in new sheet fiberglass and add in steel bushings with flanges so that you’re compressing steel instead of transom when you tighten. Thats how Id do it anyways...

Yep, may have had nothing to do with the storage yard, if the underlying transom wood is rotted as appears to be the case those bolts can pull through just from the weight of the motor. A 3/16" layer of fiberglass isn't designed to hold a motor on it's own. New transom, may not be worth the cost of repair unless you do it yourself and it's a complex job.

Yeah I figured that there would probably be some pressure treated wood in between the layers of fiberglass. The problem is there's absolutely no way for me to get to it. Is there any way to access it other than to cut apart the entire fiberglass section of the transom?

Now that’s a bad day, I would say your looking at a new transom, when was the last time you used the boat and that’s nothing the marina did

Yeah I figured that there would probably be some pressure treated wood in between the layers of fiberglass. The problem is there's absolutely no way for me to get to it. Is there any way to access it other than to cut apart the entire fiberglass section of the transom?

Generally marine grade plywood in there.

Back
Top Bottom