• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What kind of apple tree?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
IMG_5895.JPG
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5897.JPG
IMG_5899.JPG

What kind of apple tree is this?
The apples are not sweet (yet. Maybe later?)
They grow to about the size of tennis balls.
This is in north Georgia, 50 miles due north of ATL.
It's a planted tree, I think. Not wild.

They will never be sweet, my grand parents had the same green apple tree in their yard. I have eat a many of them! If you deer hunt set up next to it if you can hunt the area!

Granny Smith, almost for sure.

I have a couple -they don't get all green and shiny because of something in the air here compared to Washington State. They are pretty hardy, don't need a lot of spraying, but they are definitely a "pie apple". Tart. They will store well, but never get "sweet." Some people like them as hand apples, even though I raise them I have other apples that are a lot better.

If they turn somewhat red, and I think they will, my thought is Royal Limbertwig, if they turn very red, Old Fashion Limbertwig. These were frequently planted in this area in years gone by, were good for a variety of uses, cider, pies, drying, fresh eating. Should ripen in September but may ripen early this year, most of my fruit trees seem to be ahead of schedule.

View attachment 1244960 View attachment 1244961 View attachment 1244962 View attachment 1244963

What kind of apple tree is this?
The apples are not sweet (yet. Maybe later?)
They grow to about the size of tennis balls.
This is in north Georgia, 50 miles due north of ATL.
It's a planted tree, I think. Not wild.

My grandmother, used those apples for preserves, apple jelly, she would dry them and then when she used them made them into apple sauce... Very tasty...

Back
Top Bottom