• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What to carry to yellow stone national park.

Must sees are the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, Old Faithful Geyser Basin, Norris Geyser Basin, Mammoth, Lake and definitely Lamar Valley that's where the wolves will be hanging. If you get a chance do the Tetons to the south and check out Chico Hot Springs just north of mammoth to relax. Also Cody Wyoming is awesome, the buffalo bill museum in Cody is great. If your in to fishing especially fly fishing it's awesome in the park. I've been a lot of places but Yellowstone and the surrounding areas are my favorite. Enjoy

I used to be a park ranger in Yellowstone, we had our service weapons plus .44 mags and 308's to carry along with big containers of bear oc spray. Just make lots of noise, get bear bells (buy jingle bells here beforehand to save money) and keep your head on a swivel. Its truly an awesome place. I would seriously check in to the carry laws in the park, when I was there they had zero tolerance on weapons inside the park besides federal leo's , but i think that changed in 2010.

Know how you tell the difference between black bear scat and grizzly scat?

Grizzly scat smells like pepper and has bells in it.

I ran into a big bear at Yellowstone years back. I think it was a male, no cubs around. I looked at him and said, "Oh crap its a bear!" He looked at me and said, "Oh crap its a human!"

I screamed every curse word I knew at the time (was a 14 year old), jumped up and down, waived my arms, and kicked sand at him. He ran away. Earlier that year at Philmont scout ranch, that is what they told us to do and it'll scare away a lone bear.

Worked pretty good. I would recommend this technique. Of course a few blasts from a hand cannon is also quite scary!

Back
Top Bottom