• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What to look out for on a 1998 mustang GT

Not sure where you're getting that info from, but the convertible engines weren't detuned compared to a coupe's. They did try to remedy the structural issue with a factory brace over the engine. But even with that it doesn't help without additional aftermarket sub frame connectors to stiffen the center section.

Factoring in the additional 150-200lbs of weight closer to the rear also keeps it from breaking the tires as easily as a coupe.
Yeah I didn't get that either. Convertibles usually weigh more due to the top mechanism and unibody or chassis reinforcements. Weight can make them a little slower, not a "convertible spec" engine.

Yea, that link only confirms what I said previously.

1658853562206.png

Most likely the the convertible top is weighing it down too much for easy burn outs. My '98 Gt coupe never had an issue with it, my favorite was stomping on the pedal and doing U turns at red lights. It could do a burn out in first gear in a straight line, but never chirp the tires in second.

Probably also has the 2.73 gear set, I believe the 3.08 & 3.27 gears were an option.

With gas prices the way they are he's better off with the 2.73 & just enjoy cruising around.

I never thought about that top adding weight. No doubt it does.

Back
Top Bottom