• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What truck to buy

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I'm about to have to buy a truck at the worst time possible. It will be a new to me if l had to guess. I. Hoping to find something with low milea. I'm looking for a crew cab with a 6'+ bed. Anyone have what to stay away from. I've been in chevy for a long time and they've been good. I also like fords. Dodges scare me. Have dodge gotten better? I've had very bad luck with them. What motors and trans are good and which to avoid.
Im in comercial concrete. So it will get used like a tr7ck but l am managment so it wont be a daily tool hauler.

All input is appreciated.

I'd run a Tundra if gas mileage wasn't an issue ( expect 12 or less MPG) .

Anyone I know still working in the field for trades have had the best luck with Dodge 2500 and Ford 250. Both have gas motors with 150K plus w/o issues. Both average 16 to 18 MPG, with Dodge getting a little better.

My .02 cent, with prices they way they are with used trucks, you might just consider a new one. Especially if your looking at one with low miles.

Point in case. I had a Yukon and drove it 50k miles. Traded it in and lost 2,500. The dealer listed it for more than I originally paid for it and sold it in days.

Figure out what you want, figure out financing, and then search broad. Most dealers will deliver to Atl or worth a few hour drive to save some cash.

If you buy a Toyota, you will get laughed off the Jobsite, grocery getters are for weekend warriors. Ford, Dodge or Chevy, each has their strengths and weaknesses. I can tell you I am done with diesel. The EPA has ruined em, stick with a 3/4 ton or larger, and don't waste money on silly stuff until you can pay cash, all base models for me.

For dependability, Toyota. For a real truck any of the big 3; GM, Ford, Dodge. You get a 3/4 ton in one of those, they'll last a long time and do almost anything you throw at them. The Dodge Cummins is probably the best engine ever made. But I'd buy a 2006 or older to stay away from the Blue Def engines. The Ford chassis is probably the best. The GM Allison transmission is probably best gear box.

I’be been a Chevy man all my life so you can take this with a grain of salt if you wish. The new Dodges are leaps and bounds better than the Chevy/Fords in ride and interior quality, and overall build quality is on par at the very least. If I had to chose one, either diesel or gas it would be a Dodge.

If you have a specific time frame that would help eliminate vehicles as they’ve all had issues for certain years.

Back
Top Bottom