• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Would You Do? (Recent Case: Freedom Park Path Robbery)

What Would You Do? (Recent Story: Freedom Park Path Robbery)

• Pull your weapon and fire on the assailants, risking you or your wife being fired back upon.

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Comply with the assailants, because a few dollars or cell phones are not worth anyone dying over.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
id kill them both if i were by myself

then again, this hasnt happened to me or anyone on here, so no one can say for sure how they would react

This is a great discussion fellas. All of the posts have either been very helpful, informative, opinionated or humorous. Regardless, the bits and pieces of advice that I believe we can all glean from these posts are:

We need to be smart and be aware of our surroundings.
We need to carry ourselves in a manner that doesnt scream "I'm a victim".
We never know how we will respond in a real world situation, so we should train and practice for those moments.
We need to always carry because we never know when we will need it.
We need to use our brain as the first line of defense, avoiding confrontation and our last resort is to draw our weapon.

This has been a very helpful exercise for me in particular, and although I realize most of us are not lawyers or legal experts, we all our own interpretation of the law. Regardless of the legal definitions, we all want the same thing.... to live at peace and protect our lives, our families and our property. It's sad we live in a society like today's society in which law abiding individuals worry about the extreme repercussions of defending one's self or family from a violent attack, regarldess of race, color, ethnicity, sex, age, etc.

I worked as a Bank branch manager for many years. I also was the security officer. One morning I had delivered money to
our remote drive up. Walking back to the main building, which was probably 100 feet, I was approached by 3 men. One
went to the building I had just left, one to the main building and one coming right at me. As security officer I carried a s&w
640 in my right hand pocket. I turned to face the one coming at me and put my hand in my pocket and all three decided they needed to be some where else. You must always be aware of your sorroundings. I carry a Glock 30 nowadays and always keep my right hand free or hooked on my pocket.

People who keep their heads on a swivel and don't allow "some guy" to close the distance while asking for the time will never know how many bad situations they avoid.

RamRoddoc here-just visiting.

Never will know the outcome of incident until afterwards. I'll be proactive and attempt to prevent and conserve with a measured appropriate response that's fluid and as ever changing as the event.

Now got to go shoot some more.

Would you be justified? yes, if they weren't running away ... should you? depends.. Do they have a gun pointed at you? Do you think you could create some distance between you and them so they can't take your gun? Do you think you need to pull you gun to protect your cellphone or your life? Many variables...... but this is a good example of why I like to open carry.

I hear all of the normal arguments from my friends "you lose the element of surprise", "you become the first target", "you'll freak people out", bla bla bla bla bla bla bla. 99.99999999999999999999999% of criminals want what they see as valuable; money, jewelry, to look tough, whatever. What they don't want is to get their ass kicked, shot, or go to prison for murder. It's called making yourself a hard target. It's why cops always look like pissed off assholes, why the 6'5" 300lb guy in high school never gets messed with, and its why criminals like these guys will avoid messing with the guy or gal with a gun on their hip; it automatically makes the risk out way the possible reward. Additionally, they may just assume that your a cop and leave just because you have a gun.

Case in point. My brother and I were working a late night job and had to stop for gas near I-20 and I-285 on the east side of ATL. around 4AM. We pulled into the only gas station we could find with diesel. Lets just say it wasn't up to Quick Trip standards... As we pulled to the pump about 5 not so nice looking guys came from different parts of the parking lot towards our vehicle. I got out, left the door open as a physical barrier, and pulled of my coveralls down to expose the pistol I had in a shoulder holster. At that point, 4 of them decided they didn't really want to talk to me. The other guy wasn't much of a threat, he looked like he was probably homeless and hooked on crack. He asked me for money to get a cheeseburger, so I told him I was just about to ask him the same thing. He asked me if I was a cop, so I asked him if he was. He mumbled something about f#ck you cra#$er or something as he left......

And before someone says it, No I'm not saying their aren't down sides to open carry or that we should always do it....

sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Criminals have chosen their path in life and all the risks that come with it. They commit the crimes knowing the repercussions. If a person takes part in any activity that another person would consider shooting them, they probably deserve what they have coming.

Back
Top Bottom