• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What's in your garage under restoration?

MAK

Hen of Fame Supporter
GGT Founder
58   0
Reaction score
The other threads have me wondering who else has projects in their garage in various stages of restoration. (Both of mine are at a stage that prevents me from bringing to the upcoming cruise...)
Let's see the UNFINISHED or yet to be started toys. There are already threads full of those beautiful completed classics. Looking for the ones where YOU are doing the work. I want to see your handy-work, not the ones that you are paying someone else to complete... Looking to see if anyone else welds as poorly as I do :) If yours is already complete then lets see some of the before and during restoration pics! I'll start.
I've got 68 Cougar that I've had about 15 years. Purchased from original owner's grandson. Was a mostly original survivor when I got it. Had been resprayed once but hadn't had bodywork or rust repairs. No body rust but had a some bubbles coming up under the damn vinyl top a couple years after I got it. I rebuilt the transmission and replaced the engine with a Ford Motorsport 5.0 crate engine w/ x series heads, etc. About 8 years ago I got bored one weekend and decided to rip off the vinyl top so I could sand down the rust I could feel developing and then put another back on. Unfortunately what I thought would take a few weekends was worse than I thought and has kept it off the road ever since. Rust was bad in a few spots and all the way through. I decided I needed to practice my mig welding (a lot) since it was in such a high visibility area, and so would first start on the floor pans of my grandfather's old 72 F100 which I had recently convinced my dad to turn over. So, about the time I finished the floor pans and thought I was ready to tackle the Cougar's roof, I got side tracked again with my cabin build. A couple busy years later and I was back to having some time and energy to get back to the old vehicles.
Decided to start back on the old F100 first and have gone in spurts with it for the past year or so. It had a lot more rust but I'm nearly to the point of laying down a layer of Epoxy and a little filler as needed. Replaced the manual with power steering along the way and the tired old 360 will definitely need a rebuild down the road. Every time I think I have all the rust spots found and cut out and patched I find something else but it's close now. Have had to cut and weld patches along back of bed, lower door corners, front fenders, cab corners, side edge of hood, and a spot along rear bed inside and outside.
In the meantime I had a hitch-haul fall off the wall and hit the previously pristine rear fender of the Cougar. What was going to be a repaint of just the roof has now turned into a whole lot more work with a full repaint... I ripped out the interior last weekend so I could safely start welding the roof and found some previously undiscovered rust. The floor is pretty much perfect, free of even surface rust and still covered in factory primer and paint except for a couple holes on the forward angled section of driver side. Those only rust spots/holes were under the damn factory seam sealer that they had slopped on by the gallon. If not for all the excessive seam sealer to trap the water I don't think there would have been anything but surface scale.
Juggling these between fishing, hunting, shooting and the other hobbies and I'll probably still have these as incomplete retirement projects in a few years...
Anyway, let's hear your story and see some pics.
myphotopile.com_Cabin_img591.jpg

myphotopile.com_Cabin_img589.jpg

myphotopile.com_Cabin_img587.jpg

myphotopile.com_Public_F100_photo4.JPG

http://myphotopile.com/Public/F100/photo5.JPG
myphotopile.com_Public_F100_photo7.JPG

myphotopile.com_Public_F100_bedblast3.JPG

myphotopile.com_Public_F100_bump.JPG

myphotopile.com_Public_F100_cabcornerrust2.JPG

myphotopile.com_Public_F100_doorfinished.JPG

myphotopile.com_Public_F100_hoodpatch.JPG

http://myphotopile.com/Public/F100/hoodpatch4.JPG
http://myphotopile.com/Public/F100/dfender.JPG

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My project is a '67 Ranchero. I started working on it 2 years ago. Thats about the same time I stopped working on it. Things got busy around the house, cold weather came and Ive never managed to get back to work on it. It'd be a sweet ride when its done. Just need a good kick in the pants to get back out there.

Last edited:
Cj is in the basement and I am contemplating a Frame off....
already dropped a Crate 350 and Turbo 400 and new Trans case in it...runs and drives good and survivor paint is actually pretty good.

11257198_10206056481685285_8605931772999313978_n.jpg

IMG_4091.JPG

87 4Runner is 22re and 5sp and gets driven a LOT...primary hunting vehicle and teaching my oldest son to drive a Stick shift.

12193373_10207255895109871_5659518998954317712_n.jpg

Last edited:
This rustbucket... :becky:

'73 340z
Haven't worked on it in about a year, life got(and still is) in the way, pockets got skinny for a while due to no work.
Now that I am working I am saving up to finish it.

View attachment 589534
View attachment 589543

A 240Z is definitely on my list for the future. It was between that and the Cougar but the Cougar won out at the time because I had previously owned a 68 Mustang and was more familiar with keeping it running...

The 67 Ranchero is cool. I can relate to having a hard time finding the time and motivation to work on them. I tend to go in spurts until I burn out and then they sit again for a while.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
70 scout, 72 international 1310 factory dump body, just picked up this mini bike. The scout and truck are road worthy but still need a good bit done. Just got the mini bike going, just not sure what I'm going to do with it

Currently I have an 85 GMC Jimmy that never made it to paint but I got to rebuild the engine and do replaced a fender so nothing major there. Next is an 89 mustang hatch that I picked up a couple of weeks ago that's gonna get repainted and a little body work and finally a 70 sport satellite (road runner or gtx) that body wise is good but needs everything mechanically speaking. The 70 satellite I bought 10+ years ago and I stopped working on it 9ish year ago with no plans to start on it any time soon. And I can live with the Jimmy the way it is so looks like the Mustang is next on the docket.
20151029_230343.jpg
20151029_230343.jpg
20130915_144320.jpg

Back
Top Bottom