• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What's the best gen in Glocks and why ?

Sabonim

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
Banned Permanently
11   0
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the 3rd gens as I believe most people are and I finally own a 4th gen. I know a few people with 2nd gens but yesterday hbrad3 told me his Glock is a 1st gen. I always thought it was a 2nd gen since the only other 2nd gen I've ever seen was my father in laws. Once upon a time before ever seeing a Glock I was told how bad they were and didn't like them.......until I got one. Now I'm on a mission to have one of each sooner or later. Does the price go up with generation ?

Last edited:
Generation denotes differences in the model. A 3rd generation Glock 17 is still a model 17 but has finger grooves in the group and a rail on it. Where a generation 2 does not have any of this. I know there are people that have a lot better knowledge of glock generations than my self but that is how it has been explained to me.

Gen 2s are my thing. To me they seem better built than the gen 4s. I know quite a few people who have had parts break, failures, all kinds of issues. To me the gen 2s are the best. Ima no finger grooves or rail kinda guy.

Gen 1's are fairly rare. I am not sure on this, but I don't think they were imported here till 1986 or 1987, and the changes to make Gen 2 were in mid 1988. Notice the difference in the grip texture in the attached pics. Gen 2's have the checkered backstrap etc.

Gen 1 Gen 2 Gen 3

Glock_17_9mmPara_002.jpg800px-Glock_17_2nd_Gen.jpgCriminologygunglock.jpg

I've owned gen.1, 2, & 3, I like em' all. Never shot a gen.4 so I can't make the call on those but I've heard plenty of complaints about em'.

Had the Glock armorer @ Smyrna tell me (after going thru my 2nd gen 17) that the older "single pin" guns shoot better. Not sure why, and he didn't elaborate. Wasn't sure if he meant shooting feel, or accuracy.

Had the Glock armorer @ Smyrna tell me (after going thru my 2nd gen 17) that the older "single pin" guns shoot better. Not sure why, and he didn't elaborate. Wasn't sure if he meant shooting feel, or accuracy.

If you go to the glock factory in smyrna... talk to the guy at the gate. Very much full of info. Even HE said... dont buy a gen 4. Thats all he ever saw coming back with problems. Gen 4s. I took his advice.

I vote gen 3. nothing was broken, so gen 4 didn't fix anything. If you don't care for finger grooves or specifically don't want a light rail, get a gen 2.

Back
Top Bottom