• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's your next knife purchase?

I was just talking about another handmade hunting knife the other day with a fellow Georgian who studied under Marvin Poole. Mr Poole passed away a little while back and he was my favorite local handmade knife maker, so I am intrigued by having a knife made by one of his pupils.

I love handmade knives. I collect all kinds of knives but those handmade hunting knives have so much warmth and soul. They are pricey but worth it to me.
I’ve loaded up on some custom James Gibson knives that I wouldn’t trade for anything. He’s one of the ESEE blade designers. Awesome guy! His knives are razor sharp after I have used the heck out of them.

I’ve loaded up on some custom James Gibson knives that I wouldn’t trade for anything. He’s one of the ESEE blade designers. Awesome guy! His knives are razor sharp after I have used the heck out of them.

Thanks. I will remember the name.
Jeff Freeman is another good independent handmade knife maker if you want to check out his work. He is from Oregon, and was a designer at Gerber for years. Very good quality and reasonable prices. He comes around to Blade show every June.

https://www.freemanoutdoorgear.com

Just like the title states, what's your next knife purchase?

Mine is a cheap one, Ontario Rat 1 in D2.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Just can't pay 300.00 -500.00dollars for a knife so I can take a picture of it sitting beside an expensive smoke and $100.00 bottle of booze next to a $900.00 Colt that I have to put another $400.00 into so I can cell it on here as unfired queen.But I quess it shows you have money but little cents.

Boker Copper Kwaiken

mwm_3633.jpg

8F08275B-D460-417E-AFFA-92C79B6249DC.jpeg
Just can't pay 300.00 -500.00dollars for a knife so I can take a picture of it sitting beside an expensive smoke and $100.00 bottle of booze next to a $900.00 Colt that I have to put another $400.00 into so I can cell it on here as unfired queen.But I quess it shows you have money but little cents.

Yeah, a month ago I got two Glock model 81 field knives that only cost $29 each. They are black. I could have gotten them in tan green and possibly gray for five bucks more each. I saw numerous torture tests online for these knives before I ordered them and they seem very strong. The blades are not stainless steel, but rathet very thick spring steel. They're painted and the paint can come off with use, but I give them a little squirt of WD-40 and rub them with a tissue paper for a few seconds in between uses. So far not a bit of rust, even though the paint is gone from the tips of the knives, and all along both sides of the blades there are scratches from the knives hitting each other or bouncind off the throwing target and landing on concrete and gravel in my yard or driveway. And every time I handle them, I'm grabbing the blades directly with my sweaty hands, throwing knives out in the hot Georgia summer sun.

PS. This pic is a few weeks old. The knives have been scraped-up and nicked a lot more since then. But since I didn't pay an arm and a leg for them. I don't really care as long as they're still functional & they serve my purposes.

4165EC2F-F2C4-43EE-BCAB-ED7815B62ABC.jpeg

My next KNIFE purchase will be another 18 inch machete from the Ontario Knife Company. I have one now, but the plastic handle is broken and duct taped. I think I'm ready for a new one, but I'll still keep my old one as a spare, or back up.

The one I have now is 20 years old, and the one I had before that lasted 10 years before I broke the blade prying it out of a log in which it was stuck.

The one before that lasted at least 15 years and I broke that one's blade by shooting the edge of it to split bullets and making the bullets pop balloons --one on each side of the blade. I successfully did this trick several times and hit the blade off-center several more times (bad hit) before the blade finally shattered. Too much vibration I guess.

That's a cool trick which is best done with AXES, not machetes, although I saw on a television show where they did it with a samurai sword, splitting a 45 ACP slug in half, about 7 yards in front of the muzzle of the 1911 pistol that fired it from a Ransom rest .

Back
Top Bottom