• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

When is it no longer a milsurp?

Shemp

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
747   0
Reaction score
So I am toying with bringing an 03A3 back fromthe bubba grave which would require a rebarrel....which got me thinking; when is a milsurp not a milsurp but more of a partial reproduction?

A new barrel and stock on a vintage receiver just doesnt seem like a true milsurp to me.....

Am I crazy?

So I am toying with bringing an 03A3 back fromthe bubba grave which would require a rebarrel....which got me thinking; when is a milsurp not a milsurp but more of a partial reproduction?

A new barrel and stock on a vintage receiver just doesnt seem like a true milsurp to me.....

Am I crazy?

I do see your point, and there's really no guarantee that the rifle was all original when you first bought it. If you have some way of knowing that its all original, it's probably best to leave it alone from a collector perspective. If you aren't sure about the originality, it seems that as long as you use original usgi parts it's all good.

Just my opinion of course....

I do see your point, but there's really no guarantee that the rifle was all original when you first bought it. If you have some way of knowing that its all original, it's probably best to leave it alone from a collector perspective. If you aren't sure about the originality, it seems that as long as you use original usgi parts it's all good.

Just my opinion of course....

PS: a rebuilt milsurp beats a bubba hack job any day

PS: a rebuilt milsurp beats a bubba hack job any day

Agreed. I'm chasing a Smith Corona 03A3 but the original stock is gone and the original barrel has been hacked 2 inches. The price might be right but it seems like I'd just be paying $300 for an action and bolt.

Agreed. I'm chasing a Smith Corona 03A3 but the original stock is gone and the original barrel has been hacked 2 inches. The price might be right but it seems like I'd just be paying $300 for an action and bolt.
think of it this way...youre doing that rifle a favor! new barrel or NOS barrel your action is the gun itself and its age never changes ;)
original stocks can be had at less than a hundred if you find the right deal and a GI barrel can be had in at less than 200. although criterion barrels are very very nice.

Some great deals on NOS barrels on GB right now....

Back
Top Bottom