• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Where to buy components?

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
Any one care to share where they buy reloading components(brass, bullets, etc.) that doesn't charge as much for components as what I can buy factory ammo for? I looked at a few places online, but from what I have found so far I'd save more money buying factory ammo.

I am not trying to spend $150ish for 500 .45 bullets + $150ish for 500 .45 brass. I can usually find decent factory ammo for $15-30 for a box of 50. So at the high end of that, $300 for 500 rounds of decent factory ammo. $300 for just the brass and bullets for the same amount of ammo is completely stupid when you still have to get powder and primers. I know the brass can be used several times, but that price is still retarded.

Am I just seeing these prices because of the shortage and panic buying or am I just not looking in the right place?

I intended to get into reloading to enable myself to shoot more, but if I can't find cheaper components, not only will I not be able to shoot more than I already do, I'll have also just wasted money for nothing on reloading equipmment.

Sorry, rant over.

Sorry, but now it's not only a question of price, but availability.
There are "Rays of Hope" showing: lead times are shrinking at some suppliers, but that may only be because they have nothing to sell!
Primers appear to be the big thing missing right now, but predictions are that supplies will improve over the next 60 days.

"Patience" and "No Hoarding" are the catch-words right now!

My go to source for most components is Powder Valley but they are really backed up now.I usually buy enough primers and powder in one order to last me several years. That way I don't have to worry when prices and availability become an issue and it saves money in the long run. I cast a lot of my pistol bullets so I don't have to depend on outside sources. Starline is my number one choice for brass. I recently received 500 .44mag and a 1,000 10mm brass from them that took just under a month to arrive. Other companies I order from are Graf's, Midway, Midsouth and Wideners. As Clark 123 said, now is the time for patience. Supplies will build back up and prices will stabilize when all this hysteria settles down.

Any one care to share where they buy reloading components(brass, bullets, etc.) that doesn't charge as much for components as what I can buy factory ammo for? I looked at a few places online, but from what I have found so far I'd save more money buying factory ammo.

I am not trying to spend $150ish for 500 .45 bullets + $150ish for 500 .45 brass. I can usually find decent factory ammo for $15-30 for a box of 50. So at the high end of that, $300 for 500 rounds of decent factory ammo. $300 for just the brass and bullets for the same amount of ammo is completely stupid when you still have to get powder and primers. I know the brass can be used several times, but that price is still retarded.

Am I just seeing these prices because of the shortage and panic buying or am I just not looking in the right place?

I intended to get into reloading to enable myself to shoot more, but if I can't find cheaper components, not only will I not be able to shoot more than I already do, I'll have also just wasted money for nothing on reloading equipmment.

Sorry, rant over.

It really depends upon what you want to shoot or buy.
I cast for all of my handguns and at times sell some of the bullets.
If your paying $150 for 500 bullets they must be top shelf stuff!
You can pick up mixed headstamp 45 ACP brass for about $75+/- per 1K.
Cast lead bullets around $60-75 per 500 shipped and thats for the 45 ACP.
It's out there but you have to look. That is one of the main reasons I got into casting.

Tom

Setup a hotmail or other free account and get on everyone's email list.

I love a bargain, but I buy most of my stuff from places like Midway.

Seldom are they the cheapest, but shipping is amazingly fast and their customer service is excellent.

For hazmat stuff Powder Valley is tough to beat. I order in bulk from them about once a year. I pickup my fill in stuff mostly at Ga. Arms in Villa Rica or at gunshows.

Ga Arms has many times had some good values on bullets. I use their cast in all my target pistols both cast and fmj from them in my .45's with great results. Again, usually not the best prices, but I don't mind paying a bit more for the convenience.

I buy and get email alerts from companies like Midway, Midsouth Shooters, Wideners, Cabelas, Graf's, Bruno's, Precision Delta, and others.

Where ever you can find them.
Buy factory ammo and save the brass. Go to the range and scrounge the brass. Since brass is reusable, you can order virgin from Starline (waiting while they work through the back log) and not worry about the price since you can get almost an infinite number of reloads out them (i.e., you'll lose the case before it wears out).
Buy lead bullets from mastercastbullets.com or Missouri Bullets (and buy 3000). Lead will be available long after brass has become almost nonexistent being used to fill Home Land Security orders.
Order from Precision Delta and wait for them to fill the order for bullets.

Back
Top Bottom