• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Which direction to go?

blazedawg87

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
198   0
Reaction score
Ok so i decided to finally get into reloading for my 308. A buddy gave me an older Lyman single stage press and a few other odds and ends.
Now the question. Would it be a better value and more sound to buy the indiviual tools and equipment (case prep, priming, scales, etc) or to by a kit like this one http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading/dp/B0078MWM2W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2 from RCBS? Im kinda torn right now.

What types of scales do you all trust? Beam or electric?

Mechanical scale. I own and use both types, but I rely on the RCBS 1010.

The Lyman press you have is likely as good as a new one. I would invest my money in case prep and load manuals.

Unless recently changed, both the Lyman and RCBS cam over past the top of the stroke. I detest this characteristic in any press. It serves no useful purpose for me and only makes die adjustment more tedious than necessary.

Second the RCBS 10-10 scale. I have used this scale for a long time and trust it implicitly.

Case prep-cleaning with a vibratory cleaner is simple and easy, a decent trimmer to uniform OAL and a pair of dial calipers fit the bill. I like the hand primers, one can watch the news and prime brass.

That should get you started with a set of dies. You will figure out any other incidentals; chamfer tool, media strainer, military crimp remover, trickle charger, powder measure/thrower, loading blocks and a chronograph.

Mechanical scale. I own and use both types, but I rely on the RCBS 1010.

The Lyman press you have is likely as good as a new one. I would invest my money in case prep and load manuals.

Unless recently changed, both the Lyman and RCBS cam over past the top of the stroke. I detest this characteristic in any press. It serves no useful purpose for me and only makes die adjustment more tedious than necessary.

It looks to be in good shape, and i wouldnt be afraid to take it to someones head as a last resort.

Second the RCBS 10-10 scale. I have used this scale for a long time and trust it implicitly.

Case prep-cleaning with a vibratory cleaner is simple and easy, a decent trimmer to uniform OAL and a pair of dial calipers fit the bill. I like the hand primers, one can watch the news and prime brass.

That should get you started with a set of dies. You will figure out any other incidentals; chamfer tool, media strainer, military crimp remover, trickle charger, powder measure/thrower, loading blocks and a chronograph.

He gave me an ultra sonic cleaner as well so the cleaner is covered. So pretty much the consensus is keep the press and get the equipment individually. Any brand yall have experience with that you prefer over another and why?

I got a Lyman turbo 1200 for 43 on amazon. I use it to tumble all my brass. Its great and not to noisey, as i live in an apartment complex near a campus.

He gave me an ultra sonic cleaner as well so the cleaner is covered. So pretty much the consensus is keep the press and get the equipment individually. Any brand yall have experience with that you prefer over another and why?

The Lee dies are the best bang for the buck and make accurate ammo. I have several dial calipers (2 electronic) and the cheap harbor freight does fine (is accurate) and the battery last longer than the other that cost 4-5 times as much. I have several "brands" of incidentals none seem better or worse. Midway has a product review section that is helpful when I'm trying to save money but not go too cheap as to sacrifice reliability or ease of use.

Do a bit of homework to how the item will fit your needs and other options. The ODT is a great resource with a wealth of experience to tap. The cheap stuff like a primer flip tray, it doesn't matter if "LEE" or "RCBS" is stamped on it. Other items (high dollar) consider your options and post here for ODT member's personal preferences or opinions (powder measure/thrower, scales, chronograph, etc.).

I'm always learning new stuff and little pearls from the crew. NuShine car polish works as good or better than "brass polish" and much cheaper. A small section of dryer sheet tossed in the brass will cut the dust down in the vibratory cleaner. I used dryer sheets to wipe down plastic funnels and powder measures to cut down on static attraction.

I would go with a beam scale.

The cheap hornady scale that came with my kit is complete crap. It is regularly off by .2 or .3 grain.

The other thing you will need is test weights. I have a kit made by Lyman.

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloading-Scale-Weight-Check/dp/B000N8LMFG

Got to calibrate the scale to ensure accuracy.

I use a RCBS 505. I am very pleased with it. I do keep it covered by a plastic tray when I am not using it. I also used some gorilla tape to fix it to the table-so it doesn't flop around.

I hear that some of the more expensive digital scales are good. But I can verify that the Hornady scale is dangerous crap. (I am happy with the other stuff in my kit. Still trying to figure out how that scale ever got the Hornady logo on it.)

Last edited:
I think it all depends on what you are wanting to do. I am old school so I still personally use a beam. I load bulk plinking rounds on a progressive press and I reload my stuff for accuracy on a single stage.

Back
Top Bottom