• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which rifle forend rails/grip reflect the most heat?

Huntfishcamp

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
5   0
Reaction score
There is a lot of fancy furniture out there these days for pretty much any platform rifle.

My question is in regard to how well the different forend stocks/grips/rails insulate against barrel heat from a rifle that is being shot aggressively.

Specifically, the bare aluminum rails vs the polymer types like Magpul. I feel like the aluminum types, although highly effective, are likely to conduct heat the fastest. I know they sell polymer/rubber grips that can be mounted onto those. On the other hand, the polymer I imagine would reflect heat and cool much better, especially with the inner metal heat-shield.

Thoughts?

If it's too hot wear gloves?

Seriously, the heat in the barrel has to go somewhere. Even something insulated only delays the heat transfer. A ventilated handguard lets it transfer into the air more quickly, which is good for the life of the barrel.

Look for handguards with more vents and a larger diameter that gets your hand further from the heat source and provides better air flow. There is the compromise between air flow and grip diameter, but you could get a front grip, I guess.

There is a lot of fancy furniture out there these days for pretty much any platform rifle.

My question is in regard to how well the different forend stocks/grips/rails insulate against barrel heat from a rifle that is being shot aggressively.

Specifically, the bare aluminum rails vs the polymer types like Magpul. I feel like the aluminum types, although highly effective, are likely to conduct heat the fastest. I know they sell polymer/rubber grips that can be mounted onto those. On the other hand, the polymer I imagine would reflect heat and cool much better, especially with the inner metal heat-shield.

Thoughts?
The main consideration you have to have is what your use case is, if you just need a place to put your hand and have something that doesn’t get “as hot” to the touch something polymer with heat shield would be plenty fit for the job. Although continued exposure to heat would eventually deform/melt the polymer. But also be bad for barrel and other rifle parts as they would be exceptionally hotter by comparison to the HG.

If you need a rigid platform for Lasers/NV and other accessories or are inclined to use a extended grip or “c clamp” cuz it’s tacticool you should look into a rail. As a side note the shorter rails like the drop in 7” that are making contact with the gas block and are located closer to the chamber seem to get warmer faster due to the lack of real estate that is farther from those aforementioned areas. When selecting a rail ones with larger internal diameters allow more air to be around the barrel this slowing the heat exchange. Other factors include materials and thickness. As well as design. Some mlok rails or rails that have lots of holes in them will shed heat better than others.

I’m regards to AK pattern rifles and assuming you don’t have a need case for the accessories as previously mentioned the wood seems to be the way to go as far as dealing with the heat from prolonged use

Back
Top Bottom