• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which Springfield?

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade the thump in my truck gun to a full power 7.62. I have my eyes on the new Saint Victor AR10 but it looks like its going to be neck in neck money wise with a Socom M1A. I have own the M1A already and love it but it leaves a little to be desired in ergonomics, trigger, optics mounting, and mag change time. I have lots of practice with the AR platform so the AR 10 is a natural sway. I have never owned a Springfield that was a turd, meaning it failed to meet my expectations, but I also believe one must have the correct tool for the job. If I need to grab it and shoot, someones life will be on the line. Realistic distance less than 100 yards, more like 50 give or take. It will have a red dot optic, probably an Aimpoint Pro. What says the gun crowd and please dont recommend me a PSA gun, they are not even in the same league.

Sounds like you are leaning AR10 and I agree - more aftermarket support, lighter, easier to accessorize, etc. I am intrigued by the new Saint as well, but have not seen pricing. Curios to see where you end up. Buddy just got a great deal on a S&W AR10 ($800) and it is doing well for him.

AR10, hands down. 16" barreled, slim and quick-handling. The ergonomics of the M16 platform is far better than that of the M1A. I'm an M1A owner, but I got my gun before anybody sold AR-10's to civilians, and your choices of .308 / 7.62 NATO battle rifles were very limited, mostly foreign made guns at outrageously high prices (back in the middle 1980s).
The only reasons I keep my MIA is that I've got sentimental attachment to it, AND it serves both as my "service rifle" in highpower matches and, wearing a 4X scope, it's one of my favorite deer rifles.

But for what you want, self-defense mostly within 50 yards but maybe stretching it out to 100, the M1A is just not the best gun for the job. Even if the SOCOM is equally short with a 16" barrel, the faster mag changes in the AR platform and the ease of attaching stuff like tactical weapons-mounted lights and lasers favor the AR guns. The lower bore axis should help with recoil and muzzle rise.

Personally, I think a .308 rifle is overkill as a "truck gun" intended for various self-defense duties, or putting down an injured animal. I'd rather have a Ruger Mini-30 or AR in 7.62 x 39. That's enough power, enough range, enough penetration through cover and concealment. And from a 16" barrel, you won't be losing so much performance compared to a full length 20" barrel.

A Ruger Mini 30 tactical with a 16" barrel and a rail running all along the top of the barrel forward of the receiver to mount a wide-body (wide field of view) red dot scope would be a good choice. The only way it's not ideal is the slow toe-first, heel-second method of inserting new mags, and the similarly-slow way you have to remove them heel first, then toe.

hqdefault.jpg

Sounds like you are leaning AR10 and I agree - more aftermarket support, lighter, easier to accessorize, etc. I am intrigued by the new Saint as well, but have not seen pricing. Curios to see where you end up. Buddy just got a great deal on a S&W AR10 ($800) and it is doing well for him.

I forgot about the MP10, I'll check into that one as well. I'm seeing 1400 give or take an applebees steak out the door for either one. I fondled the saint 3 times now and each time it feels better and better. My only complaint is lack of a full length pic rail on top of the handguard. The pluses are the trigger and bcm furniture. Its more or less optic and go.

Personally, I think a .308 rifle is overkill as a "truck gun" intended for various self-defense duties, or putting down an injured animal. I'd rather have a Ruger Mini-30 or AR in 7.62 x 39. That's enough power, enough range, enough penetration through cover and concealment. And from a 16" barrel, you won't be losing so much performance compared to a full length 20" barrel.

A Ruger Mini 30 tactical with a 16" barrel and a rail running all along the top of the barrel forward of the receiver to mount a wide-body (wide field of view) red dot scope would be a good choice. The only way it's not ideal is the slow toe-first, heel-second method of inserting new mags, and the similarly-slow way you have to remove them heel first, then toe.

hqdefault.jpg

I built me a Draco pistol for a truck gun, but when I got done with it I decided I had to much money in it to be comfortable leaving it in the truck. I splurged on parts and ended up with a killer gun and decided it need to be some where safer.

Back
Top Bottom