Who deer hunts with a ar15

I use my .300 mag for deer, but don't hunt in Ga. If I were to hunt in Ga, the AR is perfect for the squirrel sized deer around. :)

Shot placement, keep it short range to have enough energy and proper bullet choice. It can be done, but why would you want to?

8 tried it with an LR308 and the ergonomics of the rifle were terrible for use from a box stand. I wound up laying prone on a power easement wishing I had my bolt rifle. Just my .02 but Ill stick with my deer slaying bolt rifle from now on.
BHJ

Shot placement is critical....... One shot kills are the head, neck, or break the back. If your going to shoot them in the heart-lung area make a 2or 3 shot burst. Obviously pulling the trigger for each round fired no selective fire here. And last but not least is a good bullet selection maybe a Barnes 3x. Also a good scope and probably limit yourself to no more than 100yds in an open field. Don't shoot through tree limbs or even a blade of grass as your bullet will explode and at the very least not hit your mark. As you can see you will be quite handicapped, but it can be done. Good luck.....

I hunt deer exclusively with an AR15, also hogs, coyotes, squirrels, crows, and armadillos. It kills deer just fine, and like every other caliber I've used, nervous system shots cause immediate collapse and heart/lung shots run 30 or 40 yards then collapse.

When I get tired of waiting on a deer but still got the itch to shoot something, I just swap out the BCG for my 22 conversion and start exploding squirrels. I can hunt multiple animals requiring different calibers and only have to carry one rifle.

I've used the 64gr Winchester Power Points with great success. The downside to the AR is it can be difficult to chamber a rounds quietly.

I don't think you get it. You've got a nice AR. Now you NEED to get yourself a proper Deer Hunting rifle, then a Squirrel Hunting rifle, then a deer hunting hand gun, then a Varmint gun....

Get it?

Back
Top Bottom