Who deer hunts with a ar15

Me and my M&P-15 will give it a try this year. I plan on using Hornady 75 gr TAP ammo. Short range will be the rule and will probably go for head or neck shots, depending on what is presented. I feel confident that there will be venison in the freezer!!:hungry:

I have with my last ar...Standard 16'' M4-a3 with just iron sights. I took two deer with it. Both dropped in there tracks. But I will also say I was 2 yards away on one deer and only 6 on the other, both head shots....so I was very close.

I hunted with a .223 bolt gun when I was a kid. It was what my dad had bought me because he didn't want my brains kicked out by his 7 mag. I shot 2 with it and both died within 20 yards. Hell even now when they get shot with a .300 mag they will still run 20 yards alot of time with a blown apart heart and lungs. A .223 will definatly do the job. Its all about shot placement. Don't go for head shots there is very little room for error and if they run off they could quite possibly live. Granted no one wants to shoot a deer and not kill it but would you rather miss on a vital shot and the deer still die with in 48 hours or would you rather shoot one in the jaw and make the poor thing suffer for weeks while it slowly starves to death or eventually succumbs to a nasty infection. I would rather it suffer for 24-48 hours than to make it starve to death because its Jaw has been blown off. I have saw trail cam pics of deer missing there lower jaw or half there snout blown off and they usually look very poor and are very close to the end. I have never shot a deer in the head but it would have to be the perfect circumstances for me to do it and I would have to be able to garuntee the hit. For me that would mean a dear within 100 yards and me having a great rest with my .270 which I can put 5 shots under a dime at 150 yards all day long. This is just my opinion though and remember its only worht what you payed for it.

ive taken acouple with my rock river 6.8 with 110 prohunters,,, if i was to use my 556 i would go with the ssa 7o grain tsx in a 1 in 7 twist barrel and would feel confident out to 200 yards

DPMS 5.56 with truglo red dot. I drop them with 3 to 5 shot burst in the 75 to 125 yard range. Stand has a padded bar across the front for a nice rest to steady the shots.

I shot two bucks 10 and 8 pointers on the same day last year with my Spikes AR 15. I was using federal 65 gr soft point ammo both shots were within 100 yards and both deer fell within 30 yards.

One of my good friends has taken out 2 10 pointers with a Mini 14. If you're hunting w/a .223, get some good ammo (Winchester SPs are fine) and make sure you're a good enough shot to put it down, so it doesn't run off and suffer. It just takes a little more skill/practice than using the big calibers.

I have taken 3 deer in Nebraska with the AR, but none yet in Georgia. To be fair I was hunting in Rabun county for bucks only...might as well been hunting unicorns.

Back
Top Bottom