• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who here does estates and trust law? Any recommendations?

rockyfatcat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
31   0
Reaction score
My father passed away and I am needing financial advice and options?

Just the insurance claim form for the annuity is kinda scary. If I take the lump sum 100% payout, I pay income tax this year on that sum.

There has to be a way to stuff this into a trust.

Margaret L. Miller
Scroggin & Burns, LLC
647 Mimosa Boulevard
Roswell, GA 30075

All lawyers have advanced LLMs in Tax. But are reasonably priced.

770-884-7197

I would ask a lot more questions about why you would pay income tax on a life insurance policy.

Life insurance policies are a common device to pass money on without taxation.

Unless the annuity was part of some sort of retirement plan, where income tax was deferred until the money was taken out.

Laxguy59 Laxguy59 is my favorite lawyer (if there is such a thing) and is a long time ODT member as well. I know he does personal injury and some criminal defense. I am not sure he does estates and trust law, but I would be willing to bet he could point you in the right direction.

I would ask a lot more questions about why you would pay income tax on a life insurance policy.

Life insurance policies are a common device to pass money on without taxation.

Unless the annuity was part of some sort of retirement plan, where income tax was deferred until the money was taken out.
I only found that out after I asked for help. My brother who is a lawyer finally got back to me. He told me that he completed the paperwork for a couple of his insurance policies, in addition, I received another insurance claim form.

This form said that the funds would be reported as taxable. Considering the amount of money involved in this policy alone ~2X the $ of my first house. I was looking to see if I could drop it into a trust, and pay the taxes when it was disbursed.

Back
Top Bottom