• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who is seeing deer this morning

I had a doe come from directly behind me at 9:00am. Didn't see until she stepped out right under my feet. Had been listening to something coming up behind me for about 5 minutes and was about to lose control and turn around. Positioned bow, aimed, about to release and fawn ran up beside her... She lucked up big time.
That afternoon I could hear one coming from 100 yards away running full speed right toward me. I mean as fast as I've ever seen one go. Anyway, ended up being a doe and went directly under my tree again at full speed out of sight. Three minutes later I hear another on her trail. Would run fast for 10 yards and stop, run and stop, run and stop. Finally stopped 10 feet from my tree directly in front about to go under me. I waited too long lining up the shot and right as I released she started her run again. Straight down through the backbone right behind her stomach. Went down and flopped around and drug herself about 25 yards down the hill to where I had no shot. Had to come down and circle around her to come back up the hill and take another shot which hit where the first one should have. These are the ones that make we want to give up bow hunting. Also determined I need to move my stand 10 yards up or down the hill since everything seems to be rubbing against my tree on the way by...

Went on a dove shoot yesterday and had a young deer walk up to a Mojo decoy in a sunflower field around lunchtime to check it out??? Guns blazing all morning. I don't think that one will make it to be an old deer.

Called in a little 60lb spike about 7:30am. He was lucky that he got about 20 yds from me as I thought it was a doe. Let him walk due to being in a QDM county and his spikes were curved and about 8 inches long. Didn't see anything else; but heard a pig squeal on the other side of the lake. Cooler only had 4 deer in it. Two does, and 10pt that scored 146 and a 11pt that was bigger. 11pt was a 140lb deer.

Even thought a lot of us didn't see or et anything; it sure was a nice opening day weather wise to be in the woods.

Saturday morning...Saw 2 does about 7:30 am, I'm guessing 50 yards. They cut my trail and started acting spooky, but they kept coming. Got to about 35 yards and turned up the hill across from me. I could have attempted a shot at one of them but was reluctant because it wasn't the best angle or opportunity. 30 minutes later I saw a pretty nice buck. He looked like an 8 pointer, about 16 inches inside. He was a little further away but cut across my trail also and got very spooked. He moved into the thick on the opposite hill and never stopped. I did not think any deer would come through where they did or I may have chosen another route to my stand location. That's bow hunting. That buck better be glad it isn't rifle season. Great morning, though.

Didn't see anything yesterday evening and slept in this morning. Hoping I get to go again later this week.

Congrats to everyone that scored!

My buddy stuck 2 this am!! Cool looking non typical!

i41.tinypic.com_2z5mavr.jpg

It isn't everyday you see, much less shoot a buck with 3 main beams. Nice spread, too. In my 30+ years deer hunting I have only seen one, and I nailed him. 10 point. His 3rd beam is similar to this one, only it splits off from ther inside. This is a nice trophy. I hope he has him mounted. Congrats!

Picture 277.jpg

Back
Top Bottom