• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who saw this coming?

Well I didn't. I remember about 15-20 yrs ago there was talk that 2 strokes would show up in passenger cars for some of the same reasons - lighter, smaller, more power for given cc/displacement and cheaper to make. But the emissions issue continued to be a problem for them, even when they had a separate oil supply.

Hard to believe F1 would go for that. But then they always seem to complain about costs, then change the formula so every team has to create all new engines.

What would the F1 cars sound like? Just don't think they would have a sound fans would like. Nobody likes the current cars for that reason.

Wish they'd return to the old V8 vs V10 vs V12s. Those were some fun races!

But are they competitive?

Well, at least the motos I have to think they will be and then some. They most certainly be lighter. My question is the electronics, specifically controlling traction, wheelie control, engine braking ect without cams and valves? Just fuel? The 4 strokes are all 265-270hp/lt now the latest 500cc was pushing 195hp. You can still buy those now from a couple different companies.

https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rider/suter-racing-releases-mmx500-two-stroke-gp-track-bike/
ETA, this bike is 195hp and weighs 280lbs and its built by a very small company. Current Motogp are 265hp and about 360lbs. Imagine what Honda type money could do

One of the big issues with the conventional 2 stroke technology was cylinder size was restricted by scavenging performance. With all the new technology I'll bet that constraint's much reduced.

Power wise, within the constraints, cc per cc, a 2 strokes should make more power, twice the number of power strokes......

And the water buffalo was the GT750, GS was the 4 stroke 4 ;)

I grew up riding all of those old 2 stroke twins and triples in the 70's. :)

Well I didn't. I remember about 15-20 yrs ago there was talk that 2 strokes would show up in passenger cars for some of the same reasons - lighter, smaller, more power for given cc/displacement and cheaper to make. But the emissions issue continued to be a problem for them, even when they had a separate oil supply.

Hard to believe F1 would go for that. But then they always seem to complain about costs, then change the formula so every team has to create all new engines.

What would the F1 cars sound like? Just don't think they would have a sound fans would like. Nobody likes the current cars for that reason.

Wish they'd return to the old V8 vs V10 vs V12s. Those were some fun races!

Oh that sound of the V8s and V10s. Like shredding canvas and a concussion to your chest with gear changes. Imagine being in control of something that makes noise like that. MotoGP is glorious too

This (in my opinion) irrational push for electric is hopefully seen its peak for now. KTM has made a road legal dualsport for years as well as filed patents for a slew of euro5 compliant 500ish cc engines. and then the clean diesels. Electric makes no sense, IF affordable, environmentally friendly transportation is your goal.

One of the big issues with the conventional 2 stroke technology was cylinder size was restricted by scavenging performance. With all the new technology I'll bet that constraint's much reduced.

Power wise, within the constraints, cc per cc, a 2 strokes should make more power, twice the number of power strokes......

And the water buffalo was the GT750, GS was the 4 stroke 4 ;)

I grew up riding all of those old 2 stroke twins and triples in the 70's. :)
"One of the big issues with the conventional 2 stroke technology was cylinder size was restricted by scavenging performance" What do you mean by this? not enough control of oil?

Oh that sound of the V8s and V10s. Like shredding canvas and a concussion to your chest with gear changes. Imagine being in control of something that makes noise like that. This (in my opinion) irrational push for electric is hopefully seen its peak for now. Electric makes no sense, IF affordable, environmentally friendly transportation is your goal.

I understand the car companies want to design F1 engines that help them sell cars on Monday and learn more about the engines they build & sell to the average customer. Honda (as an example) does not want to race V10/12s - they want to design a smaller turbo (hybrid) engine - since that's what they sell now.

But as a racing series, F1 must set rules that make it more entertaining for the fans since they tune in, attend in person and support all those sponsors on the side. The turbo electric hybrids have hurt the series to me. I have watched less and less over the last few years, so that now I hardly watch at all. I've been watching since 1992!

I understand the car companies want to design F1 engines that help them sell cars on Monday and learn more about the engines they build & sell to the average customer. Honda (as an example) does not want to do more V10/12s since they want to do much smaller turbo engines - since that's what they sell now.

But as a racing series, F1 must set rules that make it more entertaining for the fans as they tune in, attend in person and support all those sponsors on the side. The turbo electric hybrids have hurt the series to me. I have watched less and less over the last few years, so that now I hardly watch at all. I've been watching since 1992!
I was obsessed, only reason I paid for cable. Went to COTA and Montreal for races. I don't even bother recording it anymore. I really dislike Hamilton and I am convinced Bernie helped Mercedes cheat when they went to the hybrids. Its too much like sportsball now.

Back
Top Bottom