• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who shoots S&W revolvers with the lock?

November Sierra

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
188   0
Reaction score
Just got a 642 recently and shot it this morning. In the first cylinder I had an issue where it went out of time and ultimately locked up and the trigger seized up. Was shooting 158gr SWC when it happened. A few cylinders later it went out of time again but I could still pull the trigger.

My question is has anyone experienced this? Is it related to the internal lock? Did I induce this problem?

Any info would be great, thanks

The lock wouldn’t cause this. I would say the hand needs to be replaced. Dry fire the revolver very slowly so you stack the trigger. Try to simulate it being fired on single action. If the revolver is still out of time I would say you need a new hand. The oem hand may have been worn down over time.

I have a Victory Model 38 that I found out had the exact same problem when I was checking it out thoroughly getting ready to sell to someone all lined up. I was really embarrassed I had to PM and tell him without him thinking I got a better deal somewhere. I plan on getting it fixed if I can find someone who can fix it. I think it's a problem with the "hand" which does the cylinder rotation, I think. And the trigger lockup might be a connected related part, hammer/sear......

Yep it’s all connected. Kinda hard to tell for sure until you take it apart. My bet is an undersized hand. It could also be as simple as some funk in the mechanism. Take the side plate off, give it a good cleaning inside, then oil the hell out of it. It’s possible some grit could be causing the issue.

could you be getting "bullet creep" due to this gun being light weight but the 158 gr. slugs having a lot of mass? Sometimes this will happen, even though revolver ammo is supposed to be roll-crimped, and lead bullets (no jacket) generally stay in place if they're crimped properly. (Jacketed bullets are supposed to be crimped at the cannelure for heavy-recoiling round from a light weight gun.)

If shots #1 and #2 cause the bullet in chamber #3 to creep forward, it can bind up the cylinder, making it difficult to turn. This will "feel" like a problem with the trigger or action, even though it's not THERE.

I owned a S&W 637 that was made around 2011 with the Clinton-mandated side lock, and it worked fine. I rarely used the lock, but it never came on by itself nor interfered with the gun's trigger pull when it was off (ready to fire). The real danger in my view was the possibility of you activating the lock and FORGETTING you did so, and you'd be carrying an expensive paperweight without realizing it.

Back
Top Bottom