• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who shoots S&W revolvers with the lock?

I owned a S&W 637 that was made around 2011 with the Clinton-mandated side lock, and it worked fine. I rarely used the lock, but it never came on by itself nor interfered with the gun's trigger pull when it was off (ready to fire). The real danger in my view was the possibility of you activating the lock and FORGETTING you did so, and you'd be carrying an expensive paperweight without realizing it.
I would never engage the lock so that's not an issue. Out of the ~75 rounds fired, it went out of time twice and locked up once. Didn't happen with the standard pressure defensive loads in it or the five rounds of +p hydrashocks I put through it. Im beginning to wonder if I didn't fully reset the trigger since it's not showing issues with slow and rapid dry fire

Does not sound like a lock issue. Smith Wesson probably warranty repair it, reach out to em. If not we can probably take care of it.

could you be getting "bullet creep" due to this gun being light weight but the 158 gr. slugs having a lot of mass? Sometimes this will happen, even though revolver ammo is supposed to be roll-crimped, and lead bullets (no jacket) generally stay in place if they're crimped properly. (Jacketed bullets are supposed to be crimped at the cannelure for heavy-recoiling round from a light weight gun.)

If shots #1 and #2 cause the bullet in chamber #3 to creep forward, it can bind up the cylinder, making it difficult to turn. This will "feel" like a problem with the trigger or action, even though it's not THERE.

Bullet creep happens. Also, your loads may be too hot. The gun may be getting hot and tolerances grow, causing the problem.

I have a Model 19 that will collect lead between the barrel and cylinder and then start to lock up.

I would never engage the lock so that's not an issue. Out of the ~75 rounds fired, it went out of time twice and locked up once. Didn't happen with the standard pressure defensive loads in it or the five rounds of +p hydrashocks I put through it. Im beginning to wonder if I didn't fully reset the trigger since it's not showing issues with slow and rapid dry fire
I had a 642 LadySmith that I bought new. In learning to shoot it, I discovered that I would sometimes short-stroke the reset. The next trigger pull would kind do a half turn of the cylinder, skip the next round, & then be back to normal. So if I short-stroked the reset after the first round, the trigger pulls would go:

1. Bang (short-stroke reset)
2. 1/2 turn & no bang
3. Bang
4. Bang
5. Bang
6. No bang (back to first spent round)
7. Bang (back to skipped round from 2nd trigger pull)

Back
Top Bottom