• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who's done ATV trails in Colorado?

I did that Alpine Loop once in late spring. I knew snow would still be deep.
they clear the snow for the 4x4 scenic tours $$$$. I stopped at the Rangers Station in Silverton to ask about conditions. They said the bulldozer for this county broke down but the dozer from the next county was going to keep plowing and should break thru today. Asked if I had survival gear and I did. They told me to call when I got to Lake City and if they did not get the call they would send somebody looking. The dozer was coming down the hill when I got to Animas Forks. Some of the snow cuts were 30 to 40 feet deep. I was the the first one thru that year. Boy, what an adventure.

To clarify, camping IMO is a tent and no power/water. haha. I really prefer hotels, cabins, etc., but they fill up a year in advance and might not find anything closeby.

I have a 30 and 40 foot fifth wheel campers............but can't tow them and bring the SxS.
Maybe I can find a cheap and functional slide in camper and tow the utility trailer?

It's an election year. Hobby's always suffer on election years. You could probably find a slide in camper very cheap this year. May also want to look into rentals, I'd be willing to bet driving out and renting one would be pretty comparable to towing one all the way out there. Also June would absolutely be pushing it for some of those places. I'd 100% plan on making the trip in July or August. Those are the only months I'd say you have the best odds for sun and little to no snow. A lot of the mountain passes don't even open until June.

I've done Colorado trails. I hunt elk there. $25 stamp is correct. I use my Argo 6x6 but I was thinking that a Pioneer would be just right for them. Don't lift your ATV, is my advice. You do NOT want a high center of gravity on some of the trails that I've been on, where the trail is at about a 30 degree angle towards a sharpish dropoff. I've only traveled the trails in October and November.

We carried a SxS elk hunting. There are tons of trails accessible with your $25 sticker that you can pick up at the local Walmart. We were in the Durango/Bayfield area. Unfortunately the one we took wheel base was too wide to be legal on most of the trails. Silverton has some pretty wild trails and the ride in/out town is amazing!

Download OnX app it will show you all trails from ATV to hiking with relatively good accuracy!

Back
Top Bottom