• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

WHY COLT???? (its not what you're thinking...)

Chuckdog, agreed there have definatly been some dark times in Colts recent maunfacturing history. Thankfully, from what I have seen, it has become just that, history.
Ive got a new (100 years of service) Colt 1991 and a Springfield Loaded. They have both been 100% reliable and extremely accurate. They are within $100 of each other. The Springer comes with more bells and whistles for sure and its a great value. Its when you detail strip the guns that the difference really starts to show. Colts slide to frame fit (overhang at back of pistol) and small parts like ignition parts and extractor are just plain higher quality ie, Much less MIM and tighter tolerances.

Not bashing Springfield, Ive owned several over the years, and would personally take one over a Kimber or RIA any day! and when you get into their higher end guns, the difference evaporates quickly. Just comparing apples/apples at the same price point.

In the +/- $800 1911 market, I think the new Colts are just rock solid defensive weapons, and really do justice to the heritage. JMB would be proud.

I'm sure they're better today than back when I used to try to get them to shoot. I've not been that keen on the Springer 1911's myself.

I'm not very brand sensitive or dedicated myself. I like any firearm that shoots as well or better than I do. I also believe that after a certain point, the small improvements claimed by many simply aren't worth it. I only upgrade when I feel like the equipment I have is holding me back.

Since their introduction about 10 years ago, the Smith & Wesson line of 1911's have been great shooters for me. I've had several, from their basic model to the DK custom. All were simply great.

Unfortunately, I came to realization that I had way too much tied up in pistols that I seldom ever shot, so I sold off all but a couple of my 1911's. The two I couldn't part with were a target model Smith, and a Dan Wesson Point Man. I don't know what they're worth resell wise, but for me, they shoot better than I do. Neither has had the first hiccup, that I didn't create. Value is what's perceived. If a persons perception of value lies in a brand name, then that's great.

My perception of value is found at the range. I'm not a collector, as I can't stand idle firearms in my house. If I don't shoot them fairly often, they get to go live with someone else.

I've got a 100 year old Winchester that I still shoot. If I quit, I'll pass it on to someone else.

I'm not bashing Colt at all. I just don't think any modern Colt will ever be at the top of my shopping list? Price sells though! I ain't against a true bargain. If I find one I like at a price I like, I'll surely adopt it! CD

Last edited:
Colt Python, best production revolver ever made. It's no contest. That's "Why Colt".

^^^This^^^
i42.tinypic.com_nvqtls.jpg

To me it's kind of like saying you have a Harley, it's just that thing about being American made and the nostalgia behind it for me! Now I will also say that does not in anyway mean that I think there quality is the best for the money! I have had a few Colt's and liked them but I will take my Dan Wesson over a Colt for my carry weapon any day! JMHO

Back
Top Bottom