Why SBR?

I'm just curious why everyone seems to think that SBRing a rifle is the bee's knees. I'm not saying you shouldn't build one, I don't care. I don't think we should have to pay $200 to have a shorter rifle or ANY infringement on our ability to own guns of any variety. I'm just trying to understand why people seem to be SBRing guns more and more.

I don't know anyone that actively carries an SBR in a backpack or briefcase everyday (except a couple cops). I'm nto saying nobody carried one, but I know a lot of people that have SBRs and their EDC is a pistol. The only reason I'd want one is if I could carry it with me each day. A truck gun doesn't really need to be an SBR since if you can safely get to your truck you could safely get to the 16" carbine inside...not to mention the possibility and extreme headache of an NFA gun being stolen if your vehicle gets vandalized.

For home defense a rifle caliber SBR ( even 300 BO) isn't really a good choice unless you KNOW you won't miss and send a round into the room behind the perp. Even 9mm and .45 can go through most walls nowadays...

None of us are clearing rooms searching for ISIS....

Aside from a few niche and expensive calibers the average intermediate rifle cartridge will lose energy and range in SBR configuration...in some cases becoming about as effective as hot 10mm out of a handgun.

This question came up in class and I had no real answer aside from "...because...shall nto be infringed.". I was recently about to buy a Krinkov AK and am now wondering if spending so much money on what basically amounts to a very limited use toy is really worth while.

So....why?

A few days ago I would have agreed.

I thought it was point as well... Until I picked up a few different ar15s. I can tell a huge difference in my LWRC tricon with a fluted 14 barrel and my LWRC in standard 16" barrel... Add another 5-6 inches with a can and you may as well be toting a target rifle.

None of us are clearing rooms searching for ISIS....
Looks to be more likely than it was when you posted this.

I think about all the stupid **** people will buy to protect their kids. I saw a coworker the other day post a picture of his 6 year old son riding a power wheels and wearing a helmet. I'm thinking that with all the biking, go-karting and 4-wheeler riding I did as a kid, I never owned a helmet until I was an adult and the state told me I had to have one to ride a motorcycle. I had a friend just pay several hundred dollars for some fancy car seat because it's the "safest one made". People will subscribe to credit monitoring services to make sure their child's identity isn't stolen or manipulated. We have nanny cams, school bus cams, 12 inches of shredded rubber under the swing set, removed all the diving boards, etc. You could list all day. Personally, I feel like I have the right to be as prepared as I possibly can to protect my family against any and all possible threats, no matter how unlikely.

So to answer your original question, why SBR? It's for the children. Shemp Shemp , do it for the children.

Just typing that made me feel better about having such awesome toys.

So I need to SBR my 300blk AR to better protect my children????

Ok, that works for me.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom