• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why special seasons?

It absolutely makes a difference to me and, I believe, most hunters. It's the same mindset as line class records for fishing. Catching a 12lb Striper on an ultralight rig using 4lb test line is a real trophy, whereas catching it on more typical set ups just makes it a pretty average fish.
I get that! Its a challenge. So why do you need a special season? There's no Fly fishing season?

I get that! Its a challenge. So why do you need a special season? There's no Fly fishing season?
Actually, there are special seasons for fishing as well as what type of tackle can be used in certain locations. There are plenty of areas that call for artificial lures only and even single barbless hooks. Should these areas be opened to any type of fishing method?

I don't agree with the idea that a crossbow can take a deer at modern rifle distances, but it can take one at greater distance than a compound bow. With that said, a compound can take one at greater distance that a recurve. What actually constitutes a Primitive Weapon?
This is exactly my point! who cares and why do you need to have your special method of harvest?

I don't agree with the idea that a crossbow can take a deer at modern rifle distances, but it can take one at greater distance than a compound bow. With that said, a compound can take one at greater distance that a recurve. What actually constitutes a Primitive Weapon?
Recurve / long bow & round ball muzzle loaders

Recurve / long bow & round ball muzzle loaders
I can understand that, but you would see a lot less deer harvested and a lot more wounded.

I switched over to a crossbow last year as an ethical choice because I can no longer see a pin sight well.

I can understand that, but you would see a lot less deer harvested and a lot more wounded.

I switched over to a crossbow last year as an ethical choice because I can no longer see a pin sight well.
I think people who hunt primitive are not more likely to wound more game. As to the smaller harvest during a primitive season, extend rifle.

Yes some trout streams are artificial only. I agree. But dont understand why the method would matter if it was catch and release?
It would change the quality of the experience dramatically. There are a lot fewer people willing to fish in an area with restrictions. Basically, if a person is willing to greatly reduce the likelihood of taking a fish (or game) due to the method of harvest, they are rewarded with a more pristine experience.

To game management it's all about numbers taken. To many sportsman it's about the quality of the experience more that the actual kill.

67FE8E4A-0536-4E54-9159-954FC99DC9A4.gif

Back
Top Bottom