• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Widow Faces Eviction in Fla. City For ‘Living Off the Grid

swampbuck62

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
Widow Faces Eviction in Fla. City For ‘Living Off the Grid’

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/14/widow-faces-eviction-in-fla-city-for-living-off-the-grid/

Dec. 14, 2013 10:53am Oliver Darcy

A Fla. city is set to evict a widow for her unique lifestyle of “living off the grid.”
Robin Speronis told WFTX-TV that she was given an eviction notice after the station aired a story about how she chooses to live in a home without modern amenities, such as running water and electricity.
“A code enforcement officer came, knocked on the door then posts a placard that says uninhabitable property, do not enter,” Robin said.
Robin Speronis may be evicted from her Fla. home for her unique “living off the grid” lifestyle. (Image source: Screen grab via WFTX-TV)

“Putting a woman who lives by herself, who is a widow, out on the street without any due process of law is unfathomable,” she added.
According to WFTX-TV, the notice cited international property maintenance code which said the property is not safe to live in.
Speronis, however, disputes such claims and wonders how a code enforcement officer would know without even entering the house. Now, she is speaking out demanding justice.
“I’m going to bring this to the attention of anyone who will listen until justice is served,” she said.
“Where is the justice? Why did they choose me,” she asked, “I was exercising my First Amendment rights of free speech in discussing living off the grid.”

She is off target with her arguments.

"I'm a widow" has no legal bearing and her "1st amendment rights" have nothing to do with anything. She should shut up and hire an attorney.

In the end...she'll probably end up living off the grid with some of the city's money in her pocket. I could see if they could make a health code violation stick...then yeah. But, her property/house would have to be in pretty bad shape before they could condemn the place. They can't EVICT her if she owns the house, they would have to CONDEMN the property to get her out, which given the 'uninhabitable' tag that was posted is exactly what they are doing - condemning the place. Love it when the lib media can't even get the terminology right...

In the end...she'll probably end up living off the grid with some of the city's money in her pocket. I could see if they could make a health code violation stick...then yeah. But, her property/house would have to be in pretty bad shape before they could condemn the place. They can't EVICT her if she owns the house, they would have to CONDEMN the property to get her out, which given the 'uninhabitable' tag that was posted is exactly what they are doing - condemning the place. Love it when the lib media can't even get the terminology right...
Doubtful; she'll end up living in a cardboard box off the grid having spent all of her money on lawyers fees....

Funny, when I saw the news anchor Patrick Nolan I knew exactly where it was. I used to live a little south of the city. Hated every minute of it. Too hot, too flat & the gulf of mexico is all mucked up from the river flowing into it.

The article doesn't address it, but where does her waste go? Into a porta-potty, a bucket, or a septic system? If not done right it can effect the health of her neighbors. Zoning ordinances are set for many reasons, one of which is health.

Back
Top Bottom