• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife Wants to Carry

My wife is also in the medical field and was a hard sell on carrying on her person. The can-can holster I suggested actually goes under the shirt around her belly button. I just hate purse carry with a passion. It's usually ineffective.

Thanks for the input so far fellas. I certainly feel like it will end up being purse carry for my wife. She is in the medical field, and wears scrubs to and from work. Since this constitutes most of her "alone" travel time, IWB type carry is gonna be a hard sell. I have insisted that if it ends up being purse carry, it absolutely must have a dedicated pocket/holster for her handgun.

I've had a lot of home health nurses who have taken classes this past year.... one had a really bad situation & now carries on her person daily so as to not become a victim again. Loose fitting scrubs are very helpful w/ a variety of on-body carry methods.
The "Can-can"holsters are a great option.

My wife is also in the medical field and was a hard sell on carrying on her person. The can-can holster I suggested actually goes under the shirt around her belly button. I just hate purse carry with a passion. It's usually ineffective.

I was so impressed by them when I first saw them that I actually bought a medium sized one (black w/ tasteful pink trim) for students to try that I've loaned some of them... at least half went out & bought one for themselves afterwards.
Not a bad little system. A little slow to draw from but at least its on their person.

I was so impressed by them when I first saw them that I actually bought a medium sized one (black w/ tasteful pink trim) for students to try that I've loaned some of them... at least half went out & bought one for themselves afterwards.
Not a bad little system. A little slow to draw from but at least its on their person.

Look's like that holster works perfect!

I've actually met quite a few ladies who surprisingly warded off attacks w/ a purse gun but I agree that I am opposed to it as well but as I stated earlier w/ all of its inherent dangers it is better (in perhaps most cases) than not leaving it at home.

The important thing is to not just throw the gun in the bottom of the purse like a d**n rabbits foot hoping it'll bring good luck but to actually train w/ it & develop greater awareness of their surroundings long w/ the ability to recognize predatory behavior & having plans on how to deal with it.

Possible life or death stuff right there.

Last edited:
Look's like that holster works perfect!

A womans holster that also acts as a slimming girdle to make them appear thinner?
Are you kiddin' ?

If they would just lower the price a bit they would sell millions of them.... or if they don't someone else will knock it off & do it for them.

I've actually met quite a few ladies who surprisingly warded off attacks w/ a purse gun but I agree that I am opposed to it as well but as I stated earlier w/ all of its inherent dangers it is better (in perhaps most cases) than not leaving it at home.

The important thing is to not just throw the gun in the purse like a d**n rabbits foot hoping it'll bring good luck but to actually train w/ it & develop greater awareness of their surroundings long w/ the ability to recognize predatory behavior & having plans on how to deal with it.

Possible life or death stuff right there.
My wife's situational awareness used to be comical, she would be completely oblivious to surrounding possible situations. But she has improved drastically. All it takes is positive repetitive direction. Now she'll occasionally spot things before me. In order to get her to reconsider purse carry dangers, we placed a toy gun in her purse where she would normally carry her pistol, we then role played several attack scenarios. She could never get to her gun in time.

I've had a lot of home health nurses who have taken classes this past year.... one had a really bad situation & now carries on her person daily so as to not become a victim again. Loose fitting scrubs are very helpful w/ a variety of on-body carry methods.
The "Can-can"holsters are a great option.
Thanks for your input Monty. Your knowledge and expertise are invaluable. While I've got your attention, what are some of the most common guns the women you work with choose to carry.

My wife's situational awareness used to be comical, she would be completely oblivious to surrounding possible situations. But she has improved drastically. All it takes is positive repetitive direction. Now she'll occasionally spot things before me. In order to get her to reconsider purse carry dangers, we placed a toy gun in her purse where she would normally carry her pistol, we then role played several attack scenarios. She could never get to her gun in time.

Good for you... & her. Eye opening stuff.

I did a remote class in Hilton Head for a group about week & a half ago & one of the scenarios we did was very similar.

The Instructor who put it together & had me down had a long-time girlfriend who carried her gun in a zipped hut purse & counted on him to be her "white knight" so in the scenario we "took him out" immediately to see what she would do.
She also had a very constructive eye opening experience & I'm confident that they will develop a better plan after having the "theory" crushed by reality.

Back
Top Bottom