• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife Wants to Carry

Jonboy140

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
112   0
Reaction score
I'm proud to say my wife has finally decided it's time to arm herself with a handgun when she's away from home. She put in for her WCL this past Friday. I'm very limited in my knowledge on female concealed carry, and I realize it's a somewhat different animal when compared to how men may carry. So, what method of carry do the women in your life choose?

i58.tinypic.com_p85xu.jpg

Snub nose .38 SPL her end of the couch, in her car-secured and a SA XDM 9mm her side of the bed.

Women in general are fashionable and hard put to dress to carry. A single stack .380/9mm compact with a decent holster that slips IWB will be worn more than a larger gun or it will end up in the purse-perhaps the worst place to carry.

This is a very common topic that comes up frequently that is worthy of its own thread.

Many of the ladies we've had come through resort back to purse carry or the sake of convenience despite their best intentions (or the advice of the men in their lives) so we encourage them to have greater situational awareness & practice, practice, practice drawing & shooting from that purse & mounting a holster or other method of keeping the gun ready at hand inside the purse w/ the guns' grip oriented consistently in the same position to enable them to draw it quickly & consistently to save precious time during both range & defensive use.

While I (& most every other Instructor & serious student of the use of defensive pistols) do not recommend it, purse carry is faster than leaving it at home or possibly in the car. Often I see where the mans influence compels the woman to go through the motions of carrying then during later contact, find out they've resorted back to purse carry so I ask them in class to please carry on their person... but to be honest w/ me & themselves about how they are really willing to carry so we can get as much practice in as possible.
Otherwise I think we men are setting them up for failure by coercing them to practice carrying a way in which they just won't do once our influence is removed.... which I hate worse than purse carry.

For the truly dedicated (& often those who've had a close call & are serious about their decision to carry) many use either Remora holsters, some other kind of "sticky" type IWB holster, a bellyband/ girdle style, of which the new "Can-can concealment" holster is quickly gaining becoming popular, or the "Flashbang" which the jury is still sort of out on but some seem to like.

I will start a thread & see if I can get some of our lady alumni to either comment or at least give me some content to share.
Also some of the lady ODT members as well as others will hopefully share their experiences as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far fellas. I certainly feel like it will end up being purse carry for my wife. She is in the medical field, and wears scrubs to and from work. Since this constitutes most of her "alone" travel time, IWB type carry is gonna be a hard sell. I have insisted that if it ends up being purse carry, it absolutely must have a dedicated pocket/holster for her handgun.

Back
Top Bottom