• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Will a shooters cheek weld affect POI with a red dot?

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
MB and I were talking about this yesterday, trying to think about it geometrically but Im drunk haha. Tell me the answer.

no, once you zero that red dot to the weapons, it is zeroed

no matter how you look at it, who shoots it, as long as that red dot is on target (taking bullet drop and windage into account) it will kill the target

What has me questioning that is the window of the red dot. The glass of the sight allows the dot to move as you adjust your sight picture. Its possible to see the dot on my sight anywhere in the window.

Imagine adjusting your cheek weld to position the dot in the middle of the glass of the sight. If you leave the dot at the very top of the window and adjust your aim to position the dot on target you would have to raise the weapon to do this. If you centered the dot afterward so that its in the middle of the glass you would have to lower your cheek weld, but would this affect POI?

Imagine doing this with a stationary target. This is what has me thinking.

upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_4_49_Mark_III_free_gun_efe0b6970d0f444a7d721da1ccbc4386.gif

Just tested this out with a home brew shadowbox and it seems like the dot position in relation to the sight's window does affect POA slightly. Guess Im not crazy after all! Moving your eye position while leaving the sight in a fixed position causes the POA of the dot to move opposite of your eye movement.

MB and I were talking about this yesterday, trying to think about it geometrically but Im drunk haha. Tell me the answer.

Isn't this referred to as parallax? I don't know the red dot sight but scope manufacturers seem to work pretty hard to eliminate it. My physics is rusty and I wouldn't hazard a guess about how much error not having your eye aligned with the optical axis of that sight at different ranges might be...

The point of impact doesn't change on my eotech. Using the eotech on my folder AK , no matter what the position of my head is on the stock or even if I'm holding the gun with the stock folded and the gun well away from me in a completely different position whatever that dot sits on is where the bullet goes .....

Just tested this out with a home brew shadowbox and it seems like the dot position in relation to the sight's window does affect POA slightly. Guess Im not crazy after all! Moving your eye position while leaving the sight in a fixed position causes the POA of the dot to move opposite of your eye movement.

Back
Top Bottom