• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester Model 1887 lever action shotgun

Fatal_Bert

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
They/them forklift certified
179   0
Reaction score
my friends got a Winchester Model 1887 lever action shotgun. it's missing the hammer and some other parts and is in rough shape but looks cool as hell. I was tinking about buying it from him for a wall hanger. The problem is either it was ordered with a 17" barrel or someone cut the barrel down years ago. would a shotgun this old with a 17" barrel be considered a class 3 item? would it be illegal even though it's not capable of fireing.

if its not capable but can be "made" capable i know its a violation still

im not an expert on this, but i do know the ATF loves ****ing people over for dumb ****

if its not capable but can be "made" capable i know its a violation still im not an expert on this, but i do know the ATF loves ****ing people over for dumb ****
if I had about 4 or 5 extremely rare parts it might be capable of fireing, but i'm pretty sure a modern 12ga round wouldn't be a good idea in this old shotgun. but your right about the ATF.

here is a picture. still haven't been able to confirm if this would be considered class 3 or not?

Attachments

• downsized_0512131023a.jpg
    downsized_0512131023a.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 41
If you get a gunsmith to permanently render it inoperable where it can never be made to work again it is legal. Get a certification letter as well just in case.

Are you worried about an ATF raid anytime soon? Hang that puppy on the wall and enjoy it.
You do know you're already in violation of the law for currrently possessing it...... If it makes you feel better I'll give it a good home.

Not sure if there's an age limit on barrel length. Quick look through the C&R list and I didn't see it listed. You need to do some more research on it, but I wouldn't make it inoperable just yet......

Are you worried about an ATF raid anytime soon? Hang that puppy on the wall and enjoy it.
You do know you're already in violation of the law for currrently possessing it...... If it makes you feel better I'll give it a good home.

Not sure if there's an age limit on barrel length. Quick look through the C&R list and I didn't see it listed. You need to do some more research on it, but I wouldn't make it inoperable just yet......

Good point

You have a number of choices IF it is a 12 gauge. Norince/Chiappa makes a copy, and it is possible that a replacement barrel can be retrofitted to your action making the gun legal. If it is a 10 gauge, the job becomes more difficult. An extension could be added permanently to the barrel, similar to some of those added to HD shotguns, to make it legal.

Back
Top Bottom