• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight FN Manufacture

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Featherweight chambered in 7x57. It's their 2013 Shot Show promo caliber.

The rifle's appearance is similar to the U.S. Repeating Arms version introduced in the 1980's. The familiar Schnabel forend and deluxe checkering are both here. The rifle has a pre 64 type action that features controlled round feed. It's a feature that I've not been fond of for target rifles that I tend to hand feed one round at a time. For a hunting rifle the necessity of loading and feeding from the magazine ain't a big deal.

The wood to metal fit is very good. It's better than I've come to expect from most of today's production rifles.The slim 22" barrel features a recessed target crown and is free floated.

There are other, some hardly noticeable changes from the previous Featherweight, but one that truly stands out. This would be the new FN designed trigger.

The original Model 70 trigger was a simple and serviceable design, but wasn't nearly as good as Big Green's 700 trigger. This new "MOA" is very shooter friendly. Even at the 4lbs mine came out of the box at, it feels great. I haven't been inside the rifle yet, so I test fired the rifle at the factory 4lb setting.

I installed a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 in a set of Talley lightweight mounts. I loaded a few 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets over a moderate dose of W760/H414.

The rifle is a long action/magazine and allows lots of room for today's long pointed designer bullets. I seated these at about .030" off the lands. The feed was flawless.

After initial zeroing, 2" high @ 100 yds I let the rifle cool for about an hour while shooting and troubleshooting a couple of others I brought along for the ride.

I fired three consecutive shots from an adjustable front rest and rear bag. I was pleased as I looked through the spotter and saw a quarter sized 3 shot group. I let the rifle cool and repeated with near identical results.

If it never does any better with different loads, who cares? This little fellow is a pleasure to carry and shoot.

It's early in my relationship with this rifle, so we'll have to assume the longevity is a given. So far though, if mine is an example of what FN is producing with the Winchester name, the brand's in very good hands. CD

Attachments

• FW5.jpg
    FW5.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 75
  • FW8.jpg
    FW8.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I know this is an old post, but I agree... I have an FN built model 70 extreme weather in 300WSM, and an FN built model 70 featherweight in 308. Both are superior to what else is out there for the money IMO. Certainly, obviously, and substantially better than the new age cheap Remington's.... And, for hunting, they point and shoot better in hunting situations than my Kimbers and brownings, at least for me.. The kimber's may be lighter and feel a little better in the store, but they float when I'm aiming free hand in the woods. The way the winchester's are balanced, especially after the scope is mounted, point and shoot like a dream... Conclusion, when it's the moment of truth, and that 5 year old buck is stiff leggin fast through the planted pines at 110 yards, and I'm in my climber 40 foot up, my winchester's are what knocks them down, year after year, from the high ridges of the southern nantahala down to mcduffie county pine thickets, and many stands in between...

Back
Top Bottom