Winchester Model 70 - Safety Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

joewilly

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
261   0
Reaction score
My safety on my Winchester Model 70 is stuck in the "fire" position and will not move. It did work before I removed the bolt to clean the rifle. I did find out that this is not a new problem for some of the Win 70's and Winchester has received quite a few complaints. They advised me to send it in for repairs, but I'm going to use a local gunsmith instead.

Last edited:
what kinda safety does it have Tang or other , close the bolt on an empty chamber with the trigger pulled. This uncocks the firing pin to relieve pressure on the firing pin spring while the gun is stored. You're firing pin might also be uncocked, causing the safety lever to be unoperable.

the winchester model 70 i have , the bolt won't come out unless the safety is in the middle or intermediate . . . how you get it out if it was on fire!!

It is not a tang. Anyway I tried your suggestion and it did not work. I have been reading of problems with Model 70's safety's locking in the "fire" position all over the internet. Any ideas avoiding a gunsmith would be appreciated guys. Thanks.

Call Winchester. If there's not a quick fix they can tell you about, they will probably pay for shipping it to them and fix it for you.

Last night I shot some oil in the area of the safety. This morning the safety still would not move. I met a fella to do a gun deal today and he kept working the safety and it finally went to all positions. I am a fan of Winchester but this problem shows poor workmanship in my opinion!

Last edited:
Last night I shot some oil in the area of the safety. This morning the safety still would not move. I met a fella to do a gun deal today and he kept working the safety and it finally went to all positions. I am a fan of Winchester but this problem shows poor workmanship in my opinion!

You absolutely can not trust this rifle until you find out why this happened. Just because the safety is moving to all positions does not mean it's safe.

Thanks Bear44 and I agree. I am going to have a local gunsmith check it out. (Jack Bennett in Loganville was highly recommended by other members, so I will give him a call). Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom