Winter Fishing in GA

msg723

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   1
Reaction score
Most people I know only like to fish when the weather is nice....or warm. Do any of you guys have any suggestions or recommendations for fishing in the winter time? I'll be probably just fishing the Etowah or shore fishing on Lanier. I just don't want to wait until spring time to go again. Thanks!

Most people I know only like to fish when the weather is nice....or warm. Do any of you guys have any suggestions or recommendations for fishing in the winter time? I'll be probably just fishing the Etowah or shore fishing on Lanier. I just don't want to wait until spring time to go again. Thanks!
I love to fish in the winter, if you can deal with the cold it can be the best time of year to fish between no boat traffic and the size usually tends to be better in the winter. Fishing for quantity can be tough but quality can be great. Lanier and Carters are great lakes to learn the float-n-fly technique if you don't already use it. Those spots will kill a fly on 6lb test and are a blast to catch on light gear.

I fly fish the 'Hooch in the winter for trout . It's the best time to fish. You gotta wade though, but it's a Lotta fun.

Thanks guys. I definitely don't mind the cold. I may take my kids for their first time fishing but may wait till the spring. They're girls. They like heat too much. haha

Thanks! I'll check the other thread for lure/bait recommendations. :D

It also means BIG Stripers at Carters Lake as well. I don't know why, but to me Carters Lake Stripers fight harder than any other body of water in North GA. Thankfully for me it's much closer than Lanier, and a much more enjoyable fishing experience since it's not packed with people and boats.

However, Carters is much deeper than Lanier and can be very challenging to fish, so there's is that :)

I haven't fished Carters Lake since I was a kid. That is where I caught my first fish many years ago. I live about 15 minutes from Lanier and actually went there this past weekend. Didn't catch much but still had a decent day on the lake, once the rain cleared.

Back
Top Bottom