• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wiring question

ddennis

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
Any electricians in the group answer a question for me? I need to run my compressor off my generator for a small project. My gen has an L14-30r and my compressor has an L6-30p. I know I can order a cable on amazon for $50 bucks, but I already have the plugs to make one as well as the correct SO cord. Anyone share the right diagram that I need to wire it up correctly? I've got one extra pin on the L14 than I do on the L6...

Last edited:
Sounds like the receptacle on the generator is 30 amp and the compressor has a 40 amp plug. How many amps does your compressor pull? (Should be on the name plate) You only want to put 80% load on that generator receptacle so since it's a 30 amp receptacle you only want to put a max 24 amp load on it.

Last edited:
Yup sounds like your compressor is may be too many amps for the gen. They have high amp pull starting up and usually when the air pressure is nearing its max.

Not advisable, the plug for the compressor is 40amp, the generator receptacle is 30amp. Unless you can be absolutely certain the compressor doesn't pull more than 30 amps, and the circuit breaker on the generator is 30 amps, don't do it.

Ok, the L14 allows you to wire either 120V or single phase 220V with neutral and ground:
i.stack.imgur.com_XkWAo.png

The L6 plug has two hots and ground:
www_leviton_com_OA_HTML_ibcGetAttachment_jsp_f9ecd2001d2b2bf40548d2a6e1d575a9._.jpg

I assume your compressor is 220V, correct?

Back
Top Bottom