• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metal Lathe Questions

Mac2002

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
11   0
Reaction score
I have a Craftsman/Atlas 618. I went out and spent about 500 bucks on a quick change tool post and tooling. It has been sitting in my garage for the last 5 to 6 years unused. I used in primarily to turn aluminum pillars and Made a few tools with it. It has a milling attachment and and a bunch of tools with it. I have came to the conclusion It takes up too much space for the little use it gets. My question is how much should I sell it for? I don't want to lose my tail off but I would like to price it fair so that someone that would get some use out of it could get started reasonably. Anyone that knows more about it than me your help would be appreciated. I will try to take some pictures in the next few days.

These are great hobby lathes, especially with the millling head. Hard to price though. I got a slightly larger model with milling head and tons of tooling for $750 two years ago. A rigid metal table greatly helps them.

Have an Atlas as well, handed down from my father. Id say between 750-1500 depending on how clean, what model, if it has the original feet and what tooling. Hope this helps.

It is mounted to a metal table. It was inherited and I put some money in it thinking I would get more use out of it and just never really found time. I bought a blast cabinet as well that is just taking up space. I have learned I just don't have enough free time for all of my hobbies.

Have an Atlas as well, handed down from my father. Id say between 750-1500 depending on how clean, what model, if it has the original feet and what tooling. Hope this helps.
To the best of my knowledge it is all original. I have all of the original gears and tooling as well as the new stuff i bought. It runs great and looks like the person that had it before me used it about as much as I have.

Post pictures. Like most machine tools - you find the value actually ramps up based on tooling more than on the lathe itself and its condition.
Yes: If it is the commercial model, 1/2" thick bed-ways it is worth more than the home-shop model with 3/8 thick bed-ways.

Almost anything on a metal lathe can be economically repaired, one major exception being the bed. Check the wear and run-out close to the headstock. For this model, the machinist using it will matter more than the tolerances.

Without good photos....

Back
Top Bottom