• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

WMA Etiquette

N4_Actual

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
Hey all, so in a few weeks I plan to go coyote hunting in a local WMA. I’ve never hunted before. I have taken the required safety course, and will be properly licensed by the time I go on the hunt. I’ve read as many of the regs that I can find and also called the WMA office and asked some questions. I have a dumb question and am hoping someone can help me before I go out. In the regs it says that it is unlawful to have a loaded firearm within 50 yards of an access road, and additionally that having a loaded magazine would constitute a loaded firearm. What is the proper and legal way to get from the truck to the hunting spot with rifles, magazines, and ammo? Also, am I lawfully allowed to carry (concealed or openly) in a WMA as a WCL holder? This is probably a stupid question but I’d like to avoid any unnecessary trouble due to lack of knowledge. Thanks

FWIW I would like to go to Lake Russell WMA if anyone has any insight about this place.

You can carry your defensive pistol as you normally would.Your hunting firearm is only loaded when the allowed distance from the road. These are separate issues.
Thanks for the reply. Can I have a magazine loaded for my hunting rifle so long as it is not in the magazine well or does the magazine need to remain empty until I’m outside of that 50y of any roads?

Thanks for the reply. Can I have a magazine loaded for my hunting rifle so long as it is not in the magazine well or does the magazine need to remain empty until I’m outside of that 50y of any roads?
I would just stick my loaded mag in my pocket and wait to insert it until I'm 50 yards from the road.

As far as i am able to understand a long gun is considered loaded when it has a loaded magazine in it. I came across this when i was trying to figure out if you could carry a concealed long gun

Yes mag can be loaded but not in gun till away from vehicle 50 yds. You just can’t have loaded gun on any roads you can drive on

Someone smarter than me…does this mean no hunting suppressed on WMAs?

The use of silencers or suppressors for hunting within this state is prohibited;  provided, however, that a silencer or suppressor may be used for hunting on the private property of the person using such silencer or suppressor, on private property for which the owner of such property has provided verifiable permission to the person using such silencer or suppressor, and on public lands in areas designated by the department

Someone smarter than me…does this mean no hunting suppressed on WMAs?

The use of silencers or suppressors for hunting within this state is prohibited;  provided, however, that a silencer or suppressor may be used for hunting on the private property of the person using such silencer or suppressor, on private property for which the owner of such property has provided verifiable permission to the person using such silencer or suppressor, and on public lands in areas designated by the department
You can get maps of the wma they should be marked with the area if allowed or check with dnr officer at wma if you can locate them. Good luck

You can get maps of the wma they should be marked with the area if allowed or check with dnr officer at wma if you can locate them. Good luck
Thanks again. I need to go by the sporting goods store and see about getting a paper copy of the regulations as well. It’s a pain trying to look everything up online. The state website constantly has a link to another page and another page etc etc haha

Back
Top Bottom