• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WMA Etiquette

Thanks again. I need to go by the sporting goods store and see about getting a paper copy of the regulations as well. It’s a pain trying to look everything up online. The state website constantly has a link to another page and another page etc etc haha
They really dont do good a job of just spelling things out in simple terms. I have never understood why they publish hunting regulations that dont just spell things out where you're not confused and not leave so much up for interpretation.

You can carry your defensive pistol as you normally would.Your hunting firearm is only loaded when the allowed distance from the road. These are separate issues.

Thanks for the reply. Can I have a magazine loaded for my hunting rifle so long as it is not in the magazine well or does the magazine need to remain empty until I’m outside of that 50y of any roads?
You can carry a loaded magazine. Additionally you can't have a round in the chamber even if the magazine is in your pocket. Also the same rules apply to a vehicle.

And FWIW, DNR is very serious about enforcing these rules, no "no harm, no foul".

In the way back machine, my first deer hunt at age 14, with my father who was not much of a deer hunter. We got caught in one of those winters storms where it is raining ice, and the temp is right at 32 deg. He went back the truck, 14 year old me stayed out until the earlier stages of hypothermia, which we had never heard of then.

I'm soaked to the skin and the out layers of my several layers of shirts are actually starting to freeze, and I make if back to the truck, and get in with my gun, A surplus Mauser that could only be unloaded with bolt -my hands were too cold to work the bolt. DNR comes up and starts giving my father a hard time about my gun which is on the seat of the PU between us, barrel down.

One of the very few times, if ever, I saw my father get angry at a person in authority. My father was a devout man, but he called that DNR officer everything but a Child of God for having nothing better to do than harass a half frozen 14 year old boy - Dad volunteered to drive to the justice of the peace right then, and sort if out if the officer thought he was right.

Someone smarter than me…does this mean no hunting suppressed on WMAs?

The use of silencers or suppressors for hunting within this state is prohibited;  provided, however, that a silencer or suppressor may be used for hunting on the private property of the person using such silencer or suppressor, on private property for which the owner of such property has provided verifiable permission to the person using such silencer or suppressor, and on public lands in areas designated by the department
Look up the regulations for the particular WMA you plan to hunt. In the special notes section itll list prohibited activities. If it states that suppressors aren't allowed there, then you cant use one. If it doesn't say anything about them you are good to go.

Heres the regs for lake Russell. It doesn’t say a single thing about suppressors being illegal so you are good to go.

4359A30D-993F-445A-B802-FE1FBA1795CF.jpeg

E1EBC451-FF18-407C-AE49-1A435C17618D.jpeg

2017 was the year that suppressors were legalized on WMA land.
Refer to line 37 in the link below:

I ran into this issue in Kentucky on a wma. We had roosted some gobblers the night before, we got to the gate and crossed the river by 4, mile and a half in by 430 then rhis guy comes walking up. I flashed my light at him as a "hey we are here, find somewhere else" the guy crosses the shallow creek and walks up and side steps around me. I stopped him by saying "hey man wtf are you doing?" He stops and tells me he is heading to the exact spot I had the birds roosted, I told him no you're not I've been back here for a while and he needed to find somewhere else, and even told him where I had heard some the morning before. He said ok and that he was gonna go to them instead. That was a bold lie. He walked right into where they were roosted and to where we were planning set up, somehow didn't blow them out of there with the spotlight. He ended up sitting a few hundred yards from where we were. The birds pitched back our direction so I figured they did see him but were too terribly spooked. The closest they got to use was roughly 100 to 120 yards other than the Jake that flew down right between my wife's uncle and I, they milled around in the woods right there and walked into a tall field of canola and then pitched across the creek onto private land. I was mad as can be at ol boy for busting it out that morning. He ended up leaving out of there and we watched him walk out across the field, he couldnt have stayed but maybe a hour. The worst part of it all is it was our last hunt there. I know it's a turkey and it's public land but have some respect for the other hunters... we had 3 guys fly a drone over us and the field we were working a henned up gobbler on. They walked in a luckily they hen and gobbler had done moved on into the woods out of the field when they showed up but they at least apologized and admitted they were in the wrong for the drone and walking up on us. I know this isn't relatable to your post but it is to the thread title.

20230421_050818.jpg

I ran into this issue in Kentucky on a wma. We had roosted some gobblers the night before, we got to the gate and crossed the river by 4, mile and a half in by 430 then rhis guy comes walking up. I flashed my light at him as a "hey we are here, find somewhere else" the guy crosses the shallow creek and walks up and side steps around me. I stopped him by saying "hey man wtf are you doing?" He stops and tells me he is heading to the exact spot I had the birds roosted, I told him no you're not I've been back here for a while and he needed to find somewhere else, and even told him where I had heard some the morning before. He said ok and that he was gonna go to them instead. That was a bold lie. He walked right into where they were roosted and to where we were planning set up, somehow didn't blow them out of there with the spotlight. He ended up sitting a few hundred yards from where we were. The birds pitched back our direction so I figured they did see him but were too terribly spooked. The closest they got to use was roughly 100 to 120 yards other than the Jake that flew down right between my wife's uncle and I, they milled around in the woods right there and walked into a tall field of canola and then pitched across the creek onto private land. I was mad as can be at ol boy for busting it out that morning. He ended up leaving out of there and we watched him walk out across the field, he couldnt have stayed but maybe a hour. The worst part of it all is it was our last hunt there. I know it's a turkey and it's public land but have some respect for the other hunters... we had 3 guys fly a drone over us and the field we were working a henned up gobbler on. They walked in a luckily they hen and gobbler had done moved on into the woods out of the field when they showed up but they at least apologized and admitted they were in the wrong for the drone and walking up on us. I know this isn't relatable to your post but it is to the thread title.

View attachment 5723372
That dude was a d*#$

Reminds me on WMA about 35 years ago, was hunting a small hillside overlooking a small bottom. I was already set up and saw two flash lights coming toward me in the dark. I turn my light on told the two guys i am already here and set up. I told them it was to close which by there response to me they were very mad. So i decided to kept my mouth shut and they wandered off but i could still see there lights and finally one light and after a few minutes none. Well daylight came and in middle of that bottom these two guys both had climbed the tree one in a climbing stand facing one way,the other in a climbing stand facing the opposite direction. At the bottom of there stand to my amazement was a man in a sleeping bag. TALK ABOUT THE BUDDY SYSTEM. 3 men at one tree. Needless to say saw no deer that morning. Some people did not care back then and still don't care today!

Back
Top Bottom