• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Women on target

I was one of the 'coaches' at the event at GMSA, and we had a great bunch of ladies. I wish there had been more, but the ones there had great attitudes. Some had never even fired a pistol before, and still did fantastic, despite my 'help'!

I was reminded of one important lesson:

Guys, if you're buying your lady a firearm, don't buy what YOU would use. Remember her abilities and knowledge, as well as her grip strength and ability to pull back a slide. As is so often the case, a few ladies had small, lightweight semi-autos, that they were completely incapable of charging or gripping well. In every one of these cases the ladies brought the pistol that their husband, brother, or son bought them.

And, as always, there's nothing wrong with a good old 5 shot .38. Remember that prepping a magazine, inserting it, charging the pistol, and disengaging a safety is a lot to remember if she isn't going to shoot it frequently. A small revolver is dead simple, and easy to remember how to use.

Lastly: Somehow or another, get the ladies in your life out to shoot! Promise a night out, doing the dishes, new living room furniture, whatever it takes. You owe it to them to give them the tools to defend themselves.

As it has been said: "God made man and woman. Sam Colt made them equal."

I was one of the 'coaches' at the event at GMSA, and we had a great bunch of ladies. I wish there had been more, but the ones there had great attitudes. Some had never even fired a pistol before, and still did fantastic, despite my 'help'!

I was reminded of one important lesson:

Guys, if you're buying your lady a firearm, don't buy what YOU would use. Remember her abilities and knowledge, as well as her grip strength and ability to pull back a slide. As is so often the case, a few ladies had small, lightweight semi-autos, that they were completely incapable of charging or gripping well. In every one of these cases the ladies brought the pistol that their husband, brother, or son bought them.

And, as always, there's nothing wrong with a good old 5 shot .38. Remember that prepping a magazine, inserting it, charging the pistol, and disengaging a safety is a lot to remember if she isn't going to shoot it frequently. A small revolver is dead simple, and easy to remember how to use.

Lastly: Somehow or another, get the ladies in your life out to shoot! Promise a night out, doing the dishes, new living room furniture, whatever it takes. You owe it to them to give them the tools to defend themselves.

As it has been said: "God made man and woman. Sam Colt made them equal."
I just want to say thank you. She really enjoyed this. And though she didn’t bring it her gun of choice was a Ruger LCP ll. I took her to the gun store and even tried to steer her to a revolver but she insisted on the Ruger. This class did everything I was hoping it would. Now I can take her out back and let her shoot her gun. If she don’t like we will go back to the LGS.

Back
Top Bottom