• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woodmans Pal

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
In case anyone has been eyeing them, I bought a Woodman's Pal on line a couple weeks back. I'd looked at them for some time but debated about the $80 price. I saw a spot on the site referring to 2nds. So I called and ordered one. I got the GI version for about $38 shipped. It didn't come with a sheath, but they can be had on ebay for $10. So overall it's half price. I can't see anything that made this one a second.

Usefulness- I first used ti to clean some brush up around the house. I trimmed the lower limbs on a hickory and was unimpressed. It just didn't hack in very far. Later I used it on some sweet gum and some brush. Turns out the hickory is just very hard wood, because the WP cleaved through the sweet gum limbs with ease. The hook is handy for ripping vines out and for dragging the choppings away.

I'll be camping with it soon so I'll update on it's firewood abilities and shelter making use.

http://www.protoolindustries.net/

It may have been on this sister site to the one above.

http://www.woodmanspal.com/

Anyway, I looked and couldn't find it again, but it said to call for available seconds. I call the number (same as the pro tools #) and I asked the lady if they had any 284 seconds and she said they did. She took my info and said it'd mail out the next day. I had it four days later.

It was $38 shipped. I'm glad I bought a second and not the high dollar one. A short review of it was be this. It doesn't really cut well. Sharpening is a bit of a hobby for me, and I have a superb edge on the one I bought. It cuts a bit like a machete, but is too short for machete work. As often as not, it bashes through a limb or sapling more than it slices through it. The sweet spot seems to be close to the end, but it's not sharpened all that way and I'm hesitant to extend the edge. It's strong and the grip is nice. It's be good for bushwhacking, but not for a camp tool. I'm still giving it the benefit of a doubt, but it'll probably go on the chopping block before long.

Back
Top Bottom