• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Work Sharp Sharpeners (Opinions needed)

inkandammo

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
170   0
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a knife sharpening system and I'm looking hard at the Ken Onion Work Sharp. Anyone out there have one and can give me a real world opinion of one as far as if it works well, doesn't destroy good blades, doesn't eat belts at an unreasonable rate etc... Also considering the Original Work Sharp so if you have both, which do you like strictly for a knife sharpener.

TIA, Wade

I have the original the one, I love it, wish i had one back when I was cutting meat. Belt wear is not bad, it will eat up.some metal if your not careful but it will keep your knives sharp

Belt wear is reasonable, and replacements are reasonably priced on Amazon. It does take practice, and I would recommend trying it on cheap/throw away blades first. The two things I experienced:
- It will flat out eat a blade made of cheap steel if you're not careful with the coarse belt
- the wrong technique tends to round off the knife point

I used one for the first time on Christmas and was able to sharpen several knifes easily and quickly. The learning curve isn't bad at all. I used the $70-80 one and bought one for myself. The Ken Onion one just didn't seem to provide more bang for buck for my needs. You won't be disappointed with your purchase.

Back
Top Bottom